Thread: Stohr FA

Liked: 101

Default Stohr FA

Wayne, et al:

Any news on the Stohr FA progress? Enquiring minds and all that......
    Bill

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default Basic Configuration

Basic configuration: Carbon tub or steel frame with carbon panels ala WF1 or?????

Liked: 141

Default FA

Send Lee a big bag of money and have it done.

Uhhh, I think thats already in the works????
    Last edited by quartzracer; 12.16.08 at 12:47 AM.

Liked: 24

We want pictures

We want pictures

We want pictures

Liked: 0

Default IN THE WORKS

We are currently working on a Stohr Formula Atlantic for club racing. We are planning a racing program that will take us through the Runoffs next year. Hopefully, if everything goes well, we will have cars available after that.

Part of our program includes testing a lot of new parts on a Swift DB4. JR Osborne will pursue qualification for the Runoffs in this car. We are basically just using the tub of the DB4 to develop and test aero parts for the new Atlantic. The parts we're using on the DB4 will not carry over to the Atlantic. They are just for testing purposes. We'll post pictures in the next couple months of this test car.

The new Atlantic is coming along very well. We have the chassis and fixturing for the steel parts all done. We are starting to work on the tooling for the carbon part of the chassis. There will be a carbon tub with steel bulkheads and roll hoops. We are nearly finished with the hubs and uprights. We're going to use a JFR Hewland from Williams Racing Developments. Ryan from Jongbloed has designed a 15" wheel for us. Arnie Loyning is developing a 2ZZ Toyota. We are doing our own structural oil pans and valve covers. The intake manifold will be carbon fiber.

We are very excited about this project. The Atlantic car is a good fit for us because of the liberal aerodynamic rules and allowance of structural carbon fiber parts. Advanced composites have become an integral part of our business.

Wayne Felch

Default Carbon Tub

Wow! Kevin Cogan the ex-owner of one of the Ravens also wanted to use a DB4 chassis as a test bed. He advised me that he wanted to assign new pick up points to the DB4 tub and then attach the suspension pieces from the Raven to it? He was willing to take a DB4 in partial trade for the Raven when he owned it. Possibly the new owner of Cogan's car could elaborate. If the new Stohr Atlantic tub is primarily carbon fiber does that mean it has to meet the strict FIA testing????
    Last edited by quartzracer; 12.15.08 at 1:42 AM.

BRAVO Wayne! Sounds really cool. Of course, with JR you're sorta eliminating one potential weakness in the program. Smart move.

Cheers, Clark

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Answering QuartzRacer...

Kevin probably wanted the DB4 tub because he knew the back end of the Raven was an articulated bus from the hard points ripping out. Funny, he never told me about this plan when he sold me the car. It may have been backed into the wall hard by Steve Cameron, or so I've been told.

Seriously, the Raven tub is now repaired and very solid overall (thanks Composites, Inc. and DND Fabricating) and had Jim Griffith used something stiffer and easier to work on than the carbon fibre engine cradle, the damage might never have occured. Or at least it would have been noticed!

I look forward to a new FA joining the field, though it would be nice if there were other manufacturers too. Stohr this, Stohr that, blah blah blah.

I hope to flog the Raven again this year now that the front and back end are speaking to each other. If I haven't gone broke by then.

Liked: 1

Default Stohr FA update

Any progress, when available to non-JRs? Need another DB4 for testing mule?
    Best,
    Chas
    Charles C. Duncan
    Swift 016a #98/99

Liked: 24

I sent Wayne a PM and have not heard a word....

They'll be at the Sprints.
    Ken

Liked: 2

I talked with JR as car was being unloaded. It ran well and was quite fast in the sessions I watched. I think I had them between 5s and 8s roughly. Pretty damn impressive. The top 14 guys were low 4s
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Liked: 707

Word is that JR is in 6th on the provisional grid. The car looks really nice.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 2

Mike
    In yesterday afternoons session the Stohr looked real good.
    if you were around today any word on FC Armsup driver ?
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Thread Information