Thread: frame drawings

Liked: 0

Default frame drawings

[SIZE=4]hii all i am searching the web for some frame drawings and a person redirected me form the http://dsrforum.yuku.com/ forum to this page. i hope there is a person in here that can help me.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]I have some questions i hope i can get some answers on.
    I'm searching on some drawings off a Lotus 51a chassis # 51A/FF/119 or a Formel Ford 1600 cc Crossle MK 16F from 1970 chassis.
    because me and some friends wants to make a similar car type for hobby use, not real racing. do any off you know were to obtain some frame drawings off those cars or off similar cars.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]
    best regards mads rj
    denmark[/SIZE]

Default Drawings

Mads,
    Your best bet would be to decide on a car you want to build. There are tons of pictures on www.race-cars.com of the Lotus 51b under the sold section. Do the research and do up your own drawings. Bodywork and uprights are available. You will find that no one gives that information away.
    Dave

Liked: 4

Default Lotus 51

At one time I had an autocad file for the Lotus 51. Unfortunately, I think I lost it on an old PC hard drive. I'll check over the weekend.

Paul
    Lotus 51a

Default Drawings

Paul,
    That's great it would help him out. You may have to convert it to PDF for him. The car I am building I got part of the original drawings and put most of the space frame together and decided to fit the cocpit section and they were out.(cut chop reweld) I am using it for reference now and have some new drawings on Pro Engineer done by an Engineering Student. Hopfuly I will have a roller in the new year.
    Dave

Default Lotus 51 Drawing

I found the AutoCad drawing. It isn't dimensioned, so I'm not sure how useful it will be without something to view it.

Paul
    Lotus 51

Default Drawing

I think you send it to DWF viewer then convert It to PDF file using adobe pro so he can print a hard copy off a plotter or large carrage printer. How old is the autocad it's on. I may be able to do it I have autocad.
    Dave

Default DWG Viewer

I downloaded a viewer and printed a PDF of it last night.

Paul
    Lotus 51

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Default Lotus 51 Drawings

Quote Originally Posted by Gmretired View Post
    Paul,
    That's great it would help him out. You may have to convert it to PDF for him. The car I am building I got part of the original drawings and put most of the space frame together and decided to fit the cocpit section and they were out.(cut chop reweld) I am using it for reference now and have some new drawings on Pro Engineer done by an Engineering Student. Hopfuly I will have a roller in the new year.
    Dave
    Dave,

Two different scenarios entirely. The partial drawings you obtained were probably given with the sole purpose to assist in the repair or restoration of a legitimate article.

Our friend in Denmark is looking for an easy way to replicate an entire Lotus 51 without incurring any sort of cost to himself. What type of benefit does that give to legitimate owners of the model in question?

As you said in an earlier post, there is a very valid reason why no one gives that information away...

Rob

Default Drawing

Rob,

I just did a Chevron B16 spaceframe from scratch ,the drawings I had were out and are doing all new ones. Derek Bennett built from his head and had them drawn up later so they were not always correct. I have a full set of molds I made from DBE B16-34(Randy Berry's old car) bodywork that I bought last year. I will not be using Chevron Uprights. I missed out on a front set last year off this site that's how I came to be on Apex Speed. I will have all four corners for patterns out of California for Ron's database for anybody else in the future, he has everything that I have now. I have guys all over the world helping me out and lots awaiting the finished product. I am just a hobbyst car builder who does lots of research and has automotive knowlege, doesn't mind helping out others if it dosen't cost me an arm or leg.
    Dave

okay let say for the first time that i dosent have a problem with buying the frame but here in denmark the frames is like "gold" you cant get the hands in one, ,,, i have autocad 2000-2008 så i can read almost all dwg files and such ..

please people link me a link

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Default Copies

Quote Originally Posted by alfa028 View Post
    okay let say for the first time that i dosent have a problem with buying the frame but here in denmark the frames is like "gold" you cant get the hands in one,
    The value of a historic or vintage car is more than the cost of some incidental parts, tubing and welding gas. Cars with a questionable past or outright copies can cause problems for owners when they try to sell their legitimmate vehicles.

Chances are at some point in time a car fabricated by a hobbyist is going to hit the market place, to the disdain of the other owners and possibly the purchaser.

Sorry to hear that the cost of getting into the game is so expensive in Denmark, but to be frank it isn't exactly cheap over here either.

Default Drawings

Rob,
    The car I am building is a replica road car and will be labled as such. There were only 23 coupes built and 1 spyder. Many converted to B19. Chevron Racing in the UK is still building cars (Vin Malkie),Chevron Cars( Chris Smith ex of Westerfield Cars) built by Kelvin Jones Motorsports, from drawings purchased from Roger Andreason. The chassis are still done by Arch Motors. One of Kelvins cars is on www.race-cars.com ,add the FVC and it's just $225.000.00 US. You can add $100,000.00US more for an original car. So no matter what car you buy whether it GT or Monoposto no log ,proper vin plate or history documentation (chassis id)no big bucks. As for Ron's data base it's a good thing. Buying parts out of the UK is getting rather expensive. Exchange, duty and shipping are a bit much now days.
    Dave

okay [SIZE=2]Rob McClelland[/SIZE] here is the fact in pricing here in the dk a racing car cannot be driven on the road, a ordenary car cost 120% of the selling cost in fx germany, we have only a few places to race and the state hate us speed freaks , fx if you drive over 32% of the speed limit you vill loose your driving licens and if you do this 2 times your are banned for driving forever, +++
    an another thing is that im not trying to copy an lotus for selling its just for an fun procjekt with some frinds

Default Drawings

Mads,
    I have no problem with what you are doing , I commend you for it. It takes a certain type of person to build a car from scratch . I just hope you build a safe car. If you are not sure what you are doing, farm the work out. There lots of guys on this site that know what they are doing and would be more than happy for the work. As for Vintage racing you guys in Europe, can get away with driving a clone and I agree with Rob on that one, but I have not seen a completely original 30-40 year old race car yet. We all know a race chassis life span is about five years. A car driven by a compedative driver even less. So don't worry about Rob. Hope you get your drawings and do as much research as you can and do up a build log book and record everything.
    Dave

thx [SIZE=2]Gmretired[/SIZE] the build up log vill be on a movie form a webcam at the moment there is no site up and running but me and my frinds has a domain så there vill be when we start on the chassis and so we have just bought a pipe bender and a cold steel saw the ónly machine we now need is a end miller for milling the end round . i think the procjekt will be cooll

Default What to do?

When I first saw this post I realized I may be able to help. But as time passed I've had my doubts on whether I should post the drawing or not. Does anyone else have any thoughts on it (for/against)?

Also the drawings weren't created by me. So I feel a little bit bad giving away someone else's hard work.

Thanks,
    Paul

Default Drawings

Paul,
    That's entirely up to you. If does not build a car he does buy parts or services.
    Dave

i will pay for them if you like ??

Default anyone have the drawings?

Does anyone actually have electronic versions of the drawings? (pro-e would be great, but any format)?

Andrew Fawcett
    5A/FF/116

Default Drawings

Yeah, that's what I have. I have a 2-d AutoCad drawing file. It has multiple views, it just ins't a 3-d image.

Paul

Contributing Member
    Liked: 30

Default Drawings

Andrew,

Contact me off list.

John Mihalich, Jr.
    LFFR

Default Crossle 32 or 35

I think we have an old Crossle 32 or 35 frame that was just pulled out of the basement. If you want to ship it to you it could probably be bought cheap. I'll get pictures of it over the next few weeks. Let me know. Bruce@bikequities.com

Thread Information