Thread: Hole drilling

Liked: 0

Default Hole drilling

Hello

I'm hoping to get my car through Tech this Saturday and am wondering about the requirement to drill holes in various parts of the chassis so wall thickness can be checked. I have the car homologated and submitted all the required paperwork so I'm not sure why this is necessary. If it does have to be done how small a hole can I drill?

Thanks
    Ben

Liked: 7

They do this to verify that you have the tubing on the car that you said you did when you had it homologated. I think the rule book says you have to have at least 3/16(.1875) holes in the front and rear main roll hoops and the diagonal braces front and rear also. I would try to drill them so water won't get in the tubes easily but the tech people can still get a pair of calipers in the holes easily. I don't like holes in my tubes either but they don't have sonic testers at every event so they use calipers.

Jerry

Liked: 5

Ben
    you only need one 3/16" hole on main hoop near rollbar number.
    your homoglation paper insures that all other tubes in the frame meet the spec's in your log book.
    Asphalt is for Racing Grass is for Passing
    CEC Racing RF96 #97
    Chuck Cecil

Forum Advertiser
    Liked: 5

Default Rollbar

Ben, if it is an alternate structure it does not need to be drilled. looka t the homologation certificate. Kevin at comprent

Liked: 1877

Default Try actually reading the GCR

GCR - 103

9.4.5.E

d. An inspection hole at least 3/16 inch diameter, but no greater than 1/4 inch diameter shall be drilled in a non-critical area of the front and rear hoop as well as the one of the supplemental braces to facilitate verification of wall thickness. Formula Cars and Sports Racers with alternate roll structures are not required to have inspection holes, the wall thickness will be indicated on the back of the homologation certificate.

Thanks for all the info. I did 'actually' read the GCR but had heard that I didn't need to drill a hole as my roll over bar is an approved design, hence the post.

I guess I'm still non the wiser! I really don't want to be drilling holes if I don't have to.

Liked: 553

Richard,

Ben (Brands) tried reading the GCR, but it's not easy for him since it's written in English. He's from a foreign country. :-).

Besides, you have to admit the GCR is about the worst reference in the world to get an straight answer. The thing is ridiculous.

Ben,

I'd say don't drill any holes and take a drill with you to the tech inspection.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Ha, ha ha very funny Russ : ) Don't get me started... coloUr, tYre, cheQUE Uh oh you got me going!

I'll take a drill with me, along with some spanners, G clamps, and some petrol for the car.

Ben

Oh, and buoy is pronounced boy. OK, I'll stop.

Liked: 706

Quote Originally Posted by Brands View Post

I'll take a drill with me, along with some spanners, G clamps, and some petrol for the car.
    What'd he say?

You forgot AluminIum. Rhymes with condominium.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

If you don't want water getting in the inspection hole just fill it with silicone.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Thread Information