Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Liked: 706

Default The ARRC Experience

It's highly unlikely that many people give a crap, but if time permits I hope to document my first ARRC experience. It will be a week/weekend of many firsts, the primary two being the first time I've seen, let along driven Road Atlanta, the second being the first time I've driven a brand-new car with lots of unproven components (I hope this isn't foreshadowing).
    The trip was cancelled and then on, then cancelled then on several times over the last month, with the primary influences being lack of progress on the car, and loss of my job in the middle of October. Losing the job has been a blessing in disguise because it gave me the time to finish the car. Sort of. The lsmart person that cares about his family's welfare would've to cancelled the trip and not incurred significant expense when there is no more income. Surprisingly, my wife and family urged me to go, after all the effort we've put into the car and organizing the Championship (presented by Taylor Race Engineering and Phoenix Race Works.) She also knew that she would have to live with me moping around the house all winter if I didn't go.
    The trip down to RA started in earnest yesterday at 5pm when I left Green Bay and picked up my crew (Craig Jarosinski and Jon Jeffords) and a diesel pick-up in Milwaukee (a huge thanks to John Norton.) The drive was fairly uneventful but longer than I anticipated. The worst thing to happen was around 5am we hit a large tree limb that was laying in the middle of the road around Bowling Green, which pierced the front of trailer and went through the front wall and through the cabinet door inside, poking a big hole in the door and knocking it off the hinges. Luckily there was no damage to hamper forward progress so we progressed forward. Arrived at the track at about 1 pm local time and met up with Sean O'Connell shortly thereafter. The gates hadn't opened yet so we headed to the hotel to scrape 38 hours worth of filth off and get a pizza. Now it's back to the track to meet up with the rest of the F1000 group that will be testing tomorrow, and put some final touches on the car.

Tomorrow we get to find out if the last 2ish years of work have paid off...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 80

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    It's highly unlikely that many people give a crap, but if time permits I hope to document my first ARRC experience.
    Mike -

I think I speak for many of us, that we'll be eager to hear your updates from ARRC

-Jake

Liked: 0

Ditto. I can only also hope that the mylaps will be put up very quickly after the end of each day.

Good luck!

Ken
    Ken

Liked: 1

Mike,

It was good to see you again today and I (and I'm sure many others) look forward to getting your perspective on the weekend. I hope to be able to post some reports as well...

Good Luck this weekend!

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Got registered, which was a breeze. Parking, on the other hand...
    The paddock is cramped so I can see the need to have marshalls guiding folks in, but we sat in line for about 1-1/2 hours, so that we could enter the track to wait in another line. After that it went smoothly and everyone was very helpful and friendly. The trailers are so packed in that it's impossible to open the back door so everyone had to unload their cars before the next trailer could back in. Guess I'm spoiled by the wide expanses of Road America . The parking guide said there were over 300 cars this weekend so I can't see how this place could ever hold the Runoffs without some extraordinary processes or significant changes.
    So... by the time we got parked and unloaded it was too dark to do any work on the car so we'll need to get up early and thrash in the morning.
    Did I mention it's really cold? Supposed to get down to the low 30s tonight. I could've stayed in Green Bay for that.
    Guys that I got to meet for the first time:
    Russ McBride
    Scott Woodruff
    Nick Belling
    Dan Upchurch

Guys that I saw for the first time in a long time:
    Sean O'Connell
    Matt Conrad
    Jeremy Hill

After we got here, I was complaining about our 17 hour drive. Then I ran into Matt Conrad who had a 36 hour drive so it didn't seem so bad. Then I met Nick Belling who came all the way from Vancouver! His 55 hour drive (straight through with 3 drivers and only 11 stops) made Matt seem like a wuss. If there was a long tow award, Nick wins hands down. It will be nice to see him getting a lion's share of the tow fund.
    Didn't get to really examine any of the cars because it was dark but tomorrow should be bright and hopefully warmer so I'll try to get some pics of the various FBs here.
    First test session is at 10:30 am which gives me a few more hours to watch Sean O's in-car video and figure out which way to turn.

But first, sleep.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Liked: 11

Not only are there a ton of people here, you should see the rigs! Every other one is a monster-toter home or 18 wheeler!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Default Updates

Keep the updates comin!! I'm excited and I'm not even racing!! Good luck to all!!
    Bryan Blair
    RF 99 Van Diemen
    skm125@yahoo.com

Default Now Vs. Then

Quote Originally Posted by carnut169 View Post
    Not only are there a ton of people here, you should see the rigs! Every other one is a monster-toter home or 18 wheeler!
    I guess when the Runnoffs were at Road Atlanta there were more small and open trailers. Now everyone has at motor home, a 40' trailer all for one car. I was up there parking people last night, the place is packed and I feel sorry for any late comers. They'll have to park in the back forty over the creek and behind the open trailer parking for sure.
    Tom Sprecher
    ATL Region Treasurer

Liked: 229

I just shovelled my driveway, so the weather in Atlanta can't be too bad! Will be checking in to see how everyone is doing, jealous that I am stuck at home dealing with the sale of my house and upcoming move (I hope!). Best of luck to everyone, rooting for Jeremy, will be very interesting to see how the cars stack up now that they are all at the same event. RA used to park more than 400 cars for the run offs and that was before the lower skid pad was done, the Fletcher's do a good job it is just the process that can make you shake your head. Don't forget that eformulacarnews.com is there doing updates and supplying paddock notes, Brian.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1487

What's Nick Belling driving? He had his '97VD up for sale a while back....

Liked: 285

Default Nick Belling/ Stohr F1000

I saw Nick driving a Stohr F1000 at Buttonwillow a couple of weeks ago. I assume that's his new ride.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 309

Canadians shoveling snow and moving reminds me of a joke I once heard...

What is the third largest city in Alberta?

Yuma, Arizona!

Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

My money is on Nicholas winning the FB event this weekend.
    Good luck to all attending.

Cheers

Default Day 2

I would like to give some updates on each of the competitors but the expected new car teething problems have kept us focused on our own car. I do know about the guys that are paddocked nearby.
    Sean O. had a problem with his rear rotors being severely warped due to new pads that were dragging. The rotors were beginning to take on the appearance of a frisbee or flying saucer. They're fixed and he's ready to go.
    Russ McBride had a problem in the first session with the mounting of his jackshaft. He can explain how it works and what went wrong but suffice to say he spent the remainder of the day welding to beef up the mount. His car is mostly back together and he's ready to go.
    Nicholas Belling had a problem with his front right upright of his Stohr F1000. The stud that threads in to hold the upper outboard a-arm started pulling out so he parked it. He was working on it when we left the track but he should be ready to go.

As for us, we had been battling a poorly running engine in the first 3 sessions. It would sputter and cough at "lower" rpms but when it got about 10,000 would run great. After racing a pinto-engined car for the last 9 years it still sounds funny saying "it won't run until I hit 10,000 rpm. Lucky for us, George Dean is here and came to the rescue. Craig, my crew chief, understood the problem better than I did but we changed the carb needle positions and rerouted some vacuum lines. In the fourth session, the engine ran like a champ, pulling cleanly up to 11,700 in any gear from any rpm, putting a big smile on my face. A BIG thanks to George Dean!
    Our other problem was with our custom designed differential, specifically with the sprocket mount bolts loosening up. It happened in the 2nd session and because of the way we have it mounted in the car, it requires removal of the entire diff and mounting assembly but we had the luxury of doing it over the lunch break. The sprocket mount bolts are threaded into the aluminum diff housing so we reinstalled the bolts with loctite and reassembled everything, hoping for the best. Unfortunately, they loosened up again in the fourth session so we spent this evening going through the diff removal drill again. Our diff housing design has a machined counterbore and pocket on the back side of the sprocket mount flange just for this contingency. This allows us to drill out the tapped holes in the mount flange and use a through-bolt and nut. The first qualifier tomorrow will tell us if it works.
    The next problem to tackle were the oil temps. After each session (which, mind you, were never more than 4-5 laps) the oil temp was around 240F. I reworked and added some ducting in the left sidepod to force more air through the oil cooler. It will be warmer tomorrow so it will be a good indication of how much more work will need to be done over the winter.
    The final problem is a slipping clutch, especially at higher rpms. We have an extra clutch spring plate and George Dean suggested installing it in addition to the one that's in there already, effectively doubling the force. We ran out of steam tonight and will tackle that job in the morning after tech inspection.

I had been warned about the Road Atlanta test days and have now experienced it firsthand. It appears that if someone gets a little crossed-up exiting a turn they'll throw the black flag-all. That's only a slight exaggeration. Out of 16 total sessions today, 16 of them were black-flagged. This makes it hard to learn the track or get in a rhythm. I won't say that the test day was a waste of time because we obviously learned a lot about the car and I now know which way to turn. Tomorrow I'll try to figure out when to turn. Road Atlanta might want to consider charging a rate that is more commensurate with the amount of track time, or figure out a better way to manage cars that spin.

Other than my pathetic 1:40 lap time, I haven't heard any other times. On the track, the usual guys look fast. Cole, Jean-Luc, Justin Pritchard, Tonis, and Jeremy Hill all look quick. I won't make any predictions until tomorrow.
    Tomorrow is the big day with two qualifiers, the F1000 group photo, and the F1000 party. Looking forward to Mike Devins' cooking after a few days of fast food.

It's still frickin' cold.

More fun tomorrow and maybe some pics...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Good luck Mike

Thanks for keeping us homebodies informed.

Looking forward to more.

Jim Roberts

Good job, Mike! It may seem like mundane stuff to you, but it's edge-of-the-seat stuff for those of us stuck at home...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 12

Hey guys,

Sounds Mike is still in great spirits despite the problems. Just enjoy the weekend as it will surely be kept in the history books as the definite coming out party for Formula 1000.

Guys, we have Al Craighead down there for the weekend, reporting on www.eformulacarnews.com and preparing his report for the final '07 issue of FormulaCar Magazine. We'll hopefully have the mag prepared and mailed for a Christmas delivery.

Our full coverage can be found in the news section, and it will likely get some top story time. Al's Paddock Updates will be placed in our forum thread:

http://www.eformulacarnews.com./viewtopic.php?t=1214

Looks like its going to be a great weekend with three different cars filling the initial top-three.

Awesome!
    Take care,

Rob Howden
    519-223-1152

Liked: 16

Default ARRC

The first of two qualifying sessions on Friday has just been completed here at Road Atlanta. With the sun out and the temperature outside is rapidly rising. In the combined session with CFC/FFX/CF/ASR, Justin Pritchard posted the fastest time in a Piper. Here are the top-five from the session

Qualifying 1

Justin Pritchard 1:22.754 Piper/ 07 Suzuki
    Tonis Kasemets 1:23.164 Speads / 07 Suzuki
    Cole Morgan 1:23.334 Stohr / 06 Suzuki
    Jean-Luc Liverato 1:25.207 Stohr / 06 Suzuki
    JR Osborne 1:25.876 Stohr / 06 Suzuki

I was just told by phone from the ARRC that Cole pipped Justin for the pole on the second to last lap in Q2, and that a whole slew of guys are in the 24s...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 77

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    I was just told by phone from the ARRC that Cole pipped Justin for the pole on the second to last lap in Q2, and that a whole slew of guys are in the 24s...
    According to Allan Craighead on eformulacarnews, your information isn't quite right. See http://www.eformulacarnews.com/viewt...hp?p=5234#5234

Dave

Wow...not only can't he read, but he can't count either!

Somebody's going to the woodshed!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

I just noticed there are 3 marques represented in the top 3 cars, and 5 in the top six.

Piper
    Stohr
    Speads
    Stohr
    Photon
    Van Diemen
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Default Final Qual

Qualifying Combined

1. Justin Pritchard 1:22.754 1st Qualifying Piper
    2. Cole Morgan 1:22.819 2nd Qualifying Stohr
    3. Tonis Kasemets 1:23.164 1st Qualifying Speads
    4. Jean-Luc Liverato 1:25.207 1st Qualifying Stohr
    5. Jeremy Hill 1:25.287 2nd Qualifying Photon
    6. Sean O'connell 1:25.332 2nd Qualifying Van Dieman
    7. J.R. Osborne 1:25.688 2nd Qualifying Stohr
    8. Nicholas Belling 1:26.500 2nd Qualifying Stohr
    9. Sean Maisey 1:28.061 2nd Qualifying Van Dieman
    10. David Yaakov 1:30.713 2nd Qualifying Photon
    11. Mike Beauchamp 1:32
    12. Matt Conrad Phoenix 1:32
    13. Russ McBride 1:36

That's the whole field. The F1000's are faster than the FS, FSCCA or ASR class.
    They are the fastest class at the event, as far as I can tell.
    Results are on MyLaps already - http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=698183

Pretty exciting start for the new F1000 class !

ASR
    1. Eric Vassian 1:24.3
    Last edited by Lee Stohr; 11.09.07 at 8:04 PM.

Liked: 24

Anyone able to report how the traffic was? I see on EFCN that there is a 25 second difference between fastest and slowest. Did this allow some to get a good tow that reflected faster lap times and how many cars further down the grid got screwed out of a faster lap?

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by JByers View Post
    Anyone able to report how the traffic was? I see on EFCN that there is a 25 second difference between fastest and slowest. Did this allow some to get a good tow that reflected faster lap times and how many cars further down the grid got screwed out of a faster lap?
    watching them go around today, it didn't look like anyone was getting a clean lap. Justin didn't think he got a single one in Q2.

Cole was on warmers before Q2 and looked like he was going to try to go out after everyone and get a clean lap early.

Default Interesting

Just thought this was interesting.... Looks like the fast F1000's are a bit quicker than the pro Zetec's!!

Qualifying results from the May 2006 Cooper Series Event

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    Pos. No. Name Best Lap In Lap Speed 2nd Best Last Lap Class Sponsor. City, State
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    1 19 Dane Cameron 01:24.380 7 108.367 01:24.504 01:43.570 Zetec FinlayMtrspts/JimRussellSch/RedLineOil/Cape Sonoma, CA
    2 25 Ricardo Vassmer 01:24.405 16 108.335 01:24.457 01:25.170 Zetec Comprent Motor Sports Caracas, Venezuela
    3 2 JR Hildebrand 01:24.467 13 108.255 01:24.572 01:27.046 Zetec Formotion/Spy/Mocket.com Sausalito, CA
    4 28 Jason Byers 01:24.751 13 107.893 01:24.921 01:46.338 Zetec A&B Refrigeration/St. Clair Motorsports Livonia, MI
    5 3 Chris Meredith 01:25.005 7 107.570 01:25.062 01:25.527 Zetec MII Security/BertilRoosRacingSchool/PrimusRacing Potomac, MD
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    Bryan Blair
    RF 99 Van Diemen
    skm125@yahoo.com

here are the Road Atlanta track records as of July '06

http://www.atl-scca.org/Documents%20...A%20July06.pdf

FB is 2 seconds off of the FA pace. looks like the prediction of near atlantic speeds may come true soon if these cars continue to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    here are the Road Atlanta track records as of July '06

http://www.atl-scca.org/Documents%20...A%20July06.pdf

FB is 2 seconds off of the FA pace. looks like the prediction of near atlantic speeds may come true soon if these cars continue to develop.
    Don't forget that the track has been resurfaced since those lap records were recorded. This years pro FM race saw the cars dip into the 18's and a well driven FA should do the same if not better. Cole broke the FC lap record on the hard Hancook tires in the 26's. IMHO I would expect an unrestricted Zetec with light wheels, good rubber and a driver like Dane right there with the the top three.

Quote Originally Posted by JByers View Post
    Don't forget that the track has been resurfaced since those lap records were recorded. This years pro FM race saw the cars dip into the 18's and a well driven FA should do the same if not better. Cole broke the FC lap record on the hard Hancook tires in the 26's. IMHO I would expect an unrestricted Zetec with light wheels, good rubber and a driver like Dane right there with the the top three.
    good point, I don't know how accurate those #'s are either, i would have guessed lower for an atlantic.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 31

The FC/Ford 2000 track record is from 1999 by TJ Bell at a 23.6 on spec YOKO'S I'm pretty sure that pole time for that weekend was 24.0 by A Justus. No new pavement

You guys are stealing my thunder but, yes, Justin is on the pole just ahead of Cole and Tonis. JP has been on fire all weekend, reporting that he was able to draft past an Atlantic on the back stretch. What a lot of people don't know is that he is nursing a broken sternum and sprained hand after balling up his Subaru WRX during the Lake Superior Pro Rally in Michigan's Keeweenaw Peninsula two weeks ago (after running in a solid 3rd place, btw.) Guess that hasn't slowed him down much. The Piper is a very narrow, aerodynamically tidy car and Justin says that it's very trimmed out. Also on 6 & 8s.
    Cole says the IPS car is no comparison to driving the Stohr F1000. He really seems to be enjoying it and I expect he'll give JP a run tomorrow.
    Tonis appeared to be flying on the track so his qualifying positions was a bit of a surprise. He said the Speads is about 40lb overweight due to the composite floor not being built to spec, but I expect he'll give JP and CM a run tomorrow.
    Jean-Luc Liverato also seems to be enjoying himself and the Stohr. We reminded him that he can't rub fenders tomorrow and I'm not sure he's ready to trade in his WF1 just yet, but open wheel racing seems to suit him quite well. I expect he'll give JP, CM, and TK a run tomorrow.
    Our day was vastly improved over yesterday. The engine runs like a champ and the sprocket stayed attached. We elected to add a second clutch spring in the morning (as opposed to 10pm last night) and got it done with about 10 minutes left in the 1st qualifier. I was suited up and strapped in the car only to find that the clutch wasn't disengaging. It needed to be readjusted and there wasn't time so we forfeited the 1st session. The extra time allowed us to modify the clutch lever on the engine and give the clutch much more feel, which really helped in the afternoon qualification. I was able to cut 8 seconds off my test day lap times and qualified 11th with a 1:32.1. I don't expect to give JP, CM, TK, JLL, or anybody a run tomorrow. I do plan to stay out of the way, keep the car in one piece, improve my lap times, and finish the race. Our results so far this weekend have wildly exceeded my expectations of the new car.
    After the Pro-IT race we were allowed on the track for a group photo. Only 11 of the 13 qualifiers made it and light was fading, but it was really neat to see all the cars with the great paint jobs and vastly different body styles all lined up on the Road Atlanta front straight. It almost looked like an F1 standing start. Hopefully some pics turned out and someone will be able to post them (cough-Sean-cough.)
    The F1000 party was a big success. Fewer people showed up than expected, but they were quality people. Mike Devins of Hurley Race Products manned the grill and created the best ribs and chicken I've ever tasted, with the masterful assistance of Glenn Cooper.
    We awarded some of the prizes at the party:
    Fastest Conversion: Jeremy Hill with a 5th place qualification
    Best Appearing Car (judged by the Grassroots Motorsports Magazine staff)- Cole Morgan in his (well, someone's) orange Stohr.
    Best Engineered Conversion (judged by Lee Williams and Billy Wight from Williams Race Development)- Jeremy Hill
    GoPro cameras were also awarded.
    The interest in F1000 is just incredible. There was steady stream of visitors stopping by to look at my car and Sean's car and many of them indicated that they were either converting a car, building one from scratch, or considering buying a factory car. I expect the ARRC field to be double next year. Some guys even flew in just to get a look at the F1000 field and the concept. Ian Mcleod even stopped in on his way home from Brazil, donating a bottle of Brazilian wine to the party (thanks Ian!)
    General consensus seems to be that this class is what SCCA and open-wheel racing needs and that it's poised to explode.

When we arrived on Wednesday afternoon and got to hook up with some of the F1000 guys (Sean O, Russ M, Matt C, etc.) I told my crew that even if I made just a lap or two on the test day, it was worth it and I'd be happy. We made it through the test day, albeit with some challenges. On Thursday evening I told my crew that even if we only make a lap or two in qualifying and have to pack up, I'd still be happy. We missed one session but got a full second session in with zero problems. Now we're prepared to take the green flag in the inaugural F1000 Championship, which is much more than I expected we'd accomplish. The car is a blast to drive and sounds crazy-ass sweet so I couldn't be happier. It will make the long trip home more bearable.
    Last edited by Mike B; 11.11.07 at 4:08 PM.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Also the record for Zetec is Brian Sellars at 22.3 in 2002 on Avon A-24's at 1190lbs

A few pics. More to come in a couple days. We hope to leave the track after the race tomorrow and drive through the night to get home by Sunday am. No more posts until then (once I catch up on sleep.)
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Sorry one more thing the open test in march 2006 I think no rubber down
    JR at 22.6 at lunch time never been there
    Dane 22.7 " "
    Charlie Donnely 22.9 " "
    These are at 1235lbs on spec rubber.All Cape cars?

Anyone have any word on how Jerry Freeman's car is working for him?

Quote Originally Posted by buudrow1 View Post
    Sorry one more thing the open test in march 2006 I think no rubber down
    JR at 22.6 at lunch time never been there
    Dane 22.7 " "
    Charlie Donnely 22.9 " "
    These are at 1155lbs on non-spec rubber. All Cape cars!
    and Ulrich was just besides himself too.

Liked: 126

So it looks like development of the F1000 cars is starting where the years of development of F2000 cars left off.

Thanks for all the updates guys. Wish I was there. Will be there next year. I expect our field next year to be about the same as FE is this year.

Default Race

Just got a call that the race was red flagged at 5 laps or so - waiting for the restart,
    Justin got a lead as Cole and Tonis traded spots, Cole pulled ahead in second, then the red flag.

Default Results

Justin Pritchard Piper
    Cole Morgan Stohr
    Tonis Kasmets Speads
    JR Osborne Stohr
    Jean Luc Stohr
    Nick Belling Stohr

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information