Liked: 0

Default Pros/Cons of different hub designs

Hey guys,

I'm curious as to why one would want to use a fixed vs. non-fixed hub design? What are the pros and cons of each design in your opinion?

Thanks

Tim

Liked: 285

Default what is "fixed"

Are you talking about the rotor attachement to the hub (ie. floating rotors) or something else like bearings, separate brake hats, or ???

Are you talking about steering wheel hubs?
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 0

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm talking about the bearing arrangement for the hub. Does the hub spin around a fixed spindle (non-fixed hub) or does the hub spin inside bearings located in the upright. I'm not totally sure I'm using the correct terminology here or not.

Thanks

Tim

Liked: 8

Default hubs

The terminology would be a"live hub vs a stub axle/spindle like the trimph spitfire or mustang 2 with wheel bearings.The live hub offers larger bearings and the use of a larger axle/hub and stand much higher loading,also you get away from the tapered bearings being torqued improperly ,as the surfaces are machined for precision fit on a live hub giving consistant crush to the assy.
    Dave CRaddock

Liked: 313

Historical note: I'm a big fan of the Porsche 917-Ferrari 512 sportscar war in 1970 and 71. I have seen pictures of early 917's with stub axles, but this design was changed to the live axle design. The 512 always had stub axles. Another example of Porsche being a step ahead of Ferrari.

I think mid-80's was when bearings moved in our little formula cars. This design is stronger, but in our little cars strength isn't so important as you can get lighter and stiffer by going to live axle.

Thread Information