Liked: 146

Default New vs Old times

Having just moved house, I have had the pleasure of finding some old magazines.

One in particular had an article from 1976 on a Formula Ford race at Oran Park (Australia). The best time was 1:23 and was set Richard Carter who went on to be Australian Champion. One of the other cars (Mawer 004) did a 1:24.

Today, I have done a 1:18 (in my 1974 Hawke) and that same Mawer has done a 1:15, both with drivers who are older than the cars.

I dont think the track has got any shorter, and today we use Dunlops, and the engines havent changed. Up to 8 seconds a lap is some improvement.

Anyone else seen things like this?

Liked: 1875

Pretty standard fare across the board in racing. The improvements are primarily shocks and tires, coupled with everyone now having a better understanding about setups.

Liked: 186

The tracks get faster as well. New paving with better, smoother surfaces offer more grips. Repaved tracks are often a bit wider, have more friendly curbing at apex and exit.

Liked: 1

Default Engines

They are better prepared than back in the old days as well.
    Roger

Liked: 1

Default Also

Mr Hawke you should bring you and your car across the ditch for the Southern Festival Of Speed in Feb next year.
    Roger

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

At Mosport, the fastest Fromula Fords in the late 70's were doing 1:30's. By the late nineties/2000's, the best time has only dropped about 2.5 seconds to a mid 1:27.

This is after track repaving and widening. They were on slicks in the 70's and now we are running Dunlops but I think the slick shod Fords of a few years back (SCCA National guys) weren't much faster than that. Brian Graham might have a better recollection.

It makes sense that for the higher speed tracks the tire / chassis improvements have less influence, but I would have thought the aero development would have resulted in more?

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Thread Information