Message from the President
July 2007

The past month has been a whirlwind of Monoposto activity! Our schedule consisted of four races over the past five weekends, including the International rounds of the Monoposto championships taking place in Canada. We have a chance to take a breath now, so you can look forward to the website being updated with all the results from the past month, race reports from the events and lots of new pictures!

One of the most important functions of Monoposto is the friendship and bonds formed on and off the track. Over the past month we have once again enjoyed the hospitality of our members hosting our trackside parties.
I was fortunate enough to have the help of Jamie Britnell and his army of sons and their friends to help with the party I hosted at Mid -Ohio. It always helps to have some help with all the heavy coolers. However the boys do consume their weight in snacks…. This made clean up a breeze!
At Mont-Tremblant Joe Blacker and his wife Sonny hosted the Monoposto party away from the track at his beautiful lakeside home. In addition to food and drink Joe provided members with a gorgeous location to canoe and kayak. The mountain view was a beautiful background with Joe poised above the grill flipping burgers like a pro.
Last weekend at Road America Shairon Beale and David Kane invited members to their hauler to try a beverage called the “Racers Red Mist”. I did ask for the recipe, but after trying one of Shairon’s “energy drinks” I have no recollection of the ingredients! Assisting Shairon, David and their co-host Greg Turner were the “Men in White” Mark Harlan ,Bill Arthur and Bob. How they can always look so clean at the track is a mystery to me.
Thanks to all our party hosts! The gatherings are always a highlight of the race weekend. Photos of the action can be found on the website in the photo section.

The 40th Anniversary of Formula B was quite a success! The B’s were given their own stand-alone event at Mid Ohio. Carl Jenson, competition director of SVRA, stated that it was the best Feature race he’s seen in years! This event shows that with a bit of work we can build Monoposto grids and improve the track experience for members. Thanks to Marc Giroux for all his hard work in getting a dozen Formula B’s to the grid for the Sunday Feature race. In the works is the 40th Anniversary of Formula 5000 to be held at the September 2008 Watkins Glen event held by SVRA. There are rumored to be up to 20 F5000’s coming from New Zealand to attend this event. It just shows that with a little encouragement, we can get large numbers of cars to the grid and improve the racing experience. Your participation is encouraged in this type of movement. If we can guarantee a minimum number of entries we can hold more stand-alone races for other classes.

Monoposto’s 20th Anniversary celebration is coming up fast! The event will be held August 17th – 19th at Grattan Raceway Park in Grattan, MI, by VSCDA. The weekend will have tons of track time and some special surprises for all in attendance. The early registration cut off is August 1st. If you register early you will not only save a few bucks, but you will help us plan the race schedule to maximize track time. It’s looking like this will be the largest field of Open Wheel cars this year, so come be a part of the celebration! You can find an entry form at the VSCDA website at www.vscda.org.

At Monoposto we have been working on some new and exciting things. One of these is a special session at the SVRA Fall Festival to be held September 27th -30th at VIR. In addition to the regular Sprint races, Monoposto drivers will be able to participate in a STANDING START race. There will be a separate standing start races for both Classic and F70 groups. SVRA will provide an opportunity for some practice starts early in the weekend so drivers can get accustomed to the procedure. I personally have never experienced a standing start, but I am very excited about the chance to try it! I wouldn’t be surprised if Monoposto brings everyone in the paddock out to the pit wall to watch!

And now for something completely different! Monoposto is adding another event to the 2007 schedule. In conjunction with HSR, Monoposto is adding the HSR Hilton Head/Savannah Historics event to our calendar. This event will be held in a different format from the regular race weekend. Track sessions and races will take place Thursday and Friday. There will also be an optional practice day available on Wednesday. At the end of day Friday action concludes at the track. All participants will then be eligible to take their race car to Hilton Head and display it at the Hilton Head Concours d’Elegance & Motoring Festival as part of the Quest for Speed and Style exhibit. If you chose not to show your car you will still be able to attend the Concours as two tickets to the event will be provided. The Races combined with the Concours will be a great way to close out the Monoposto 2007 season. More information on the event can be found at www.hsrrace.com and at www.hhiconcours.com

Be sure to take a look at the Results and Championship Standings pages which have just been updated on our website at monoposto.com. As always there are some close races in the championships that will not be settled until the end of the season. Also, check out the link to MyLaps.com on the results page. You will find results from all sessions at many of the Monoposto events, as well as your individual lap times.

It’s been an exciting month and with the anniversary party on the horizon Monoposto members have lots to look forward to! Get those race cars ready and I’ll see you at the track!

Sincerely,

Mark Harmer