Liked: 11

Default Chassis Differences

So, without trying to start a holy war, what are the prevailing opinions on the pros and cons of the various chassis brands for the pre 1973 FF's?

Brands that come to mind are: Lotus, Titan, Winkleman, Alexis, Hawke, Lola, March, Elden, Merlyn...

How would you rate them in terms of chassis flex, wheelbase, capacity to house a 6' driver, skittishness, stability, better for technical tracks, better for fast tracks, best car a mix of both fast and technical tracks, more/less rookie friendly... etc, etc.

I know in the end that a fast driver can make any of these cars go fast, but I'm not one of them!

Liked: 553

Somewhat related posts you might find interesting:
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...referrerid=526
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...referrerid=526

Maybe look at some race results to see which cars are at the front, and the most popular,
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default FF ARTICLES

Russ, I'm glad you referenced that old post about the FF info I have because I see now it has my old email address in it. My NEW EMAIL IS johnm63@gmail.com. One of my goals was to try to get all that info into PDF form and onto a disc and one of these days, I'm going to do just that! Meantime, if there's any interest in some or all of the info, email me and we'll go from there.

Liked: 0

Default The best old FF

Of the cars listed in your original post, in their era, I think Titan was generally considered the easiest to drive fast. I think you will also find a lot of guys that think the Crossle, Merlyn and the Royales were the equal of the Titan.

In reality, if you go Vintage FF, you are going to be on treaded tires and you are not going to be driving 10/10's (at least not for long) so it probably doesn't matter much which car you select. In the end, you will probably be more focused on how well the Zaino worked, than if the car was hard to drive at the limit.

Thread Information