Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked: 91

okmeraj kram?

Liked: 201

Cole thats what I was thinking or John Hill which I think is an underrated West Coast racer

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTY81 View Post
    Any new updates of your progress on the hot rod....
    Yes, thanks for asking. I'm going to put a multi-national champion in it for the ARRC. Should be good for 4-5 seconds. (*)

I'm taking my car to a parking lot on Sunday to see if the clutch, shifting, etc. are working okay, and to see if any parts fall off. That may be the extent of "testing" I'll get to do before the ARRC. I'll report on Sunday night if there's anything interesting to share. I hope it's uneventful other than my own giddiness that it actually works.

Russ

(*) You may have heard that Keith Roberts will race at the ARRC but haven't heard what he'll be driving. I'll let you put 2 + 2 together. I tried to get Mike Rand and PLN, but they're both booked that weekend. I considered DaveW but the VD cockpit may be just too unfamiliar for him since he's only had one race car for the past 20 years. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 0

Default Sleeper?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gomberg View Post
    And, I know of at least one "sleeper" who will be there. He is unknown to almost all of you, but has quietly been improving his game over the course of this year. No, I won't tell you who it is. If he can learn the track quickly enough, he's going to be a real surprise.

Dave
    Hi Dave,

This wouldn't be a former M/C racer that I happened to meet
    recently, would it? He just might surprise some people...

John

Liked: 11

I know there is a lot of buzz in Topeka right now but the ARRC is turning out to be possibly the most exciting formula race of the year...

Speaking with a vendor yesterday... we will have the following drivers in FB (and pardon my spelling):

Schweitz
    Prichard
    Jeremko
    Morgan

and possibly-

Liverato
    Cooper
    Roberts

not to mention

McBride
    Hill
    Maisey
    Cooper
    Yaakov
    Schader
    Mosteller
    O'Connell
    Tyrell
    Beauchamp

Hey Dave, Chas, Niki.... after your done in HT, come race in Hotlanta!

Side note... wonder if FB will catch on?
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 3787

I'm still trying to talk Dave into bringing the Citation down to run in CFC. Afterall it was homolagated in '95. It might be a bit like bringing a gun to a knife fight...

Being under the same tent all day with Steve Lathrop is like attending the ICP seminars of old. Steve has draw up the new Citation FB car... wizzy. But there is only one Steve, and his next job is to put a zetec in only certain yellow Citation this off-season.

I have en even better location for the next ICP seminar....
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Sean,

32 entries for group 4 so far this should be fun.
    Last edited by jim morgan; 10.07.07 at 6:34 AM. Reason: forgot fe was on their own

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Default An observation......

Just an observation.....

With the recent list of drivers for the ARRC FB Class posted......it certainly appears that the major constructor of the FB Class is bringing in the heavyweight drivers to represent their product. While this is certainly fair, and permissable, I am sure that a 1-2-3 victory will be used heavily to promote the image and product they produce.

While it is exciting to have the heavyweight racers show up and run.....any victory for the major constructor should not be overshadowed by the grassroot amatuer racers. These are the guys who owns the car class to enjoy the sport and truely represent the grassroots racers, in this new and exciting class.

For many months we have heard about the small guy who has spent numerous hours designing, converting and building their FB Class cars either in a shop or home garage. These indivduals in the end should not be overshadowed my any major constructor. In fact the drivers that were listed at the bottom of the latest posting in the list of drivers are the true winners in this class, in my mind...and hopefully other minds also.

Sean O'Connell the "father" of the FB Class as known here on ApexSpeed appears in that bottom list of drivers. Lets hope that someone like Sean, a true grassroots racer can really give the big boys who have entered this race for the fame and fortune of the major constructor can give these heavyweights a real run for their money. In light of the list, it would be great to see, the guys at the bottom of the list do well. A win would be spectacular.

At this point the cards are stacked for a 1-2-3 victory for one major constuctor, but it is possible the big, may not be better. From this grassroots amatuer racer I certainly hope not.

Give the big guys hell, grassroots racers, and the guys who have put their heart and soul, dreams, and money into building their cars will ultimately be the winners.

Nevertheless, the race will be exciting and will ultimately build an image for the FB F1000 class of Formula race cars. And with this result, even the small grassroots racers who race this class for the fun and excitement will benefit. It will be interesting what the future holds for F1000....I think it will become mighty big.

Enjoy the race, it will be exciting, and I certainly wish I could be there even if I finished at the end of the pack, it will be exciting for all the drivers.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

You should be making plans to come Richard... I've driven from New Mexico (well, to and from) several times and besides going through Texas- which can be a little boring- its an easy trip. Might even be able to piggy-back with someone to save $$. That, and you'll get some $$ back via the tow fund. That, and I'd really like to see that sweet red ride in person!
    Finishing position could be considered secondary to being a part of your class's inaugural championship complete with an on-track group photo (not happening at the run-offs btw), party, and paddocking alongside the very guys you mentioned above. Interesting builder-types, experienced drivers and manufacturers themselves will all be there. Maybe some of the big-guns will share some tips to help you & I get faster!
    Further, our prizes are not entirely based on finishing in the top three. It would be possible lose the race and still win one of the largest prizes- a new Impact helmet.

I would count no one out as a possible victor in the race. I know that I had a year of development to get my car up to speed and I know Ken Tyrell (Stohr) has had about the same and I've done everything I can think of to be sure my car is as competitive as possible...
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Sean O. brings up a good point about prizes. In fact my certificate for $150 for paddock/transport wheels is to be awarded to the 4th place finisher.
    By the way, the smart bets are being placed on Sean O., The undefeated F1000 SEDIV regional & national points champion.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Sean:

Wish I could make the event...I am sure it will be exciting...but have business appointments in Boston and St. Louis...all within days of the ARRC event.

Go get them Sean.......hope to see your name at the top on the final lap.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

Default FB Paddock Spots

Reminder - If you want to be paddocked together with other F1000 teams, make sure to send me information about your rig & awning space needs. I have a spreadsheet and will forward it to Sandy (Paddock Marshall) in the next couple of weeks. She's great to work with but can only help if we give her good info ahead of time and follow her instructions.

Oh, she wants cell phone numbers, too, in case she needs to call anyone about arrival times, etc.

Thus far I only have info regarding me, Sean O. & Ben Cooper.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Besides getting to hang with all of your F1000 brothers, the lower skid pad is a pretty cool spot. Its flat, levelish, and right by turn 1. All the perimeter spots have power but if you've got an rv/ or toter you make your own (too long for perimeter spots).
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Quote Originally Posted by GoPro View Post
    If our Motorsports HERO production is done in time, GoPro will be interested in donating cameras to F1000 participants. We'll have mounts for mounting in funky places on the car to get some great angles...could be fun for a post race DVD or online movie for everyone to relive the race.
    Hey, what's the latest news with this? I've been pretty heads-down trying to get the car ready, so I may have missed any announcements. I hope to come up for air soon and would like to start thinking about in car video at the ARRC.

Thanks!
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 707

Default a slight speed bump...

Good news and bad news type thing:
    Good news is I now have virtually unlimited time during the day to finish my car.
    Bad news is I now have virtually unlimited time during the day to finish my car because I lost my job.
    While I received a severance, it will run out before I know it so it doesn't seem prudent to continue to spend large amounts of money during such uncertain times. For that reason, I'll likely withdraw my entry from this year's ARRC and the 1st Annual F1000 Championship presented by Taylor Race Engineering and Phoenix Race Works.
    It's still up in the air whether I'll attend the event but I'll do everything in my power (and budget) to be there and support my fellow F1000 competitors. And maybe hand out some awesome prizes!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

That's awful. My heart goes out to you.

Let's definitely plan to still get you to the ARRC. We'll help with travel & lodging costs.

I think you'll hear from a lot of folks that when they lost their job it opened doors to new and better opportunities.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Mike, it was good to talk with you on the phone. I'm glad to hear there's still a chance we will see your car at the ARRC. You've worked very hard on it, as well as the FB contingency program, so you really deserve the opportunity to "air it out" at a premier track and event.

Hey, I just noticed the FB entry has grown. New chassis & drivers ...

http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubd...x?EventID=2992
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

This just goes to show how important this class and race are. Looks like someone had to win runoffs in DSR just to get offered the chance to race in the F1000 race. That a tough qualifying race to have to win.

It should be a great race to watch.

Ken
    Ken

Thanks, Russ, I really appreciate the support from you and everyone else. It's one of the things that's encouraging me to try to race at the ARRC.

This race is shaping up to be huge! We'll have the reigning F2000 champion and the reigning DSR National Champion in identical cars competing against the undefeated conversion of Sean O, and even a couple scratch-built cars thrown in for good measure. I wouldn't be too upset if I had to watch from the sidelines because this should be one of the best races of the weekend. Can't wait!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Default A growing entry list ...

Holy smokes. Have you looked at the entry list lately? I can't believe I'm going to be in the same race as some of those guys. I'm not worthy.

Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Russ, buck up soldier. You are still expected to win this! ALTHOUGH I hope Mike B. kicks up some dust as he goes by... How's it looking Mike, gonna make it?

I must admit that after losing my job last week I was ready to give up this year and wait until next year. After seeing the recent additions to the entry list, and encouragement from Russ and a few other guys, it's full steam ahead!
    If Matt Conrad can make it then so can I.
    The ARRC may be the first time the car hits the track but even if we have problems, it's worth the trip just to hang out in the paddock with all those guys!
    Look for pics of the new livery later this weekend...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Quote Originally Posted by cparsons View Post
    Russ, buck up soldier. You are still expected to win this! ALTHOUGH I hope Mike B. kicks up some dust as he goes by... How's it looking Mike, gonna make it?
    Mike's got a lot of people cheering him on. He deserves to do well and have fun after all his hard work.

I'm not complaining (too much :-) about the "Busch Whackers" :-). As Mike B. has mentioned, the fact that these champion drivers are coming shows the impact of this class even after less than one year of existence.

Mike B. & I (and maybe a few others) will have our own race within a race. Since it will be the very first race ever in the class for many of our cars (with unproven drive trains), we may award the imaginary CFB award to Most Laps Completed. :-).

If perchance any of us don't make it to the checker, we'll at least have a chance to watch an awesome race from wherever we end up. I watched the latter half of an ARRC race from a unique vantage point at T6 one year.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 1

I'm cheering on those who are driving their own cars...and especially those that are also building their own cars...I have a ton of respect for all of you.

There's no way in hell I can keep up with the talented list of "guns for hire" that keep showing up on the FB entry list, but we're going to try to be there and race no matter what. I believe in this class and hope that several different makes and models will be able to compete and build this class into the premiere formula car class in SCCA.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Default Setting the record straight ...

I've heard from a few sources that we can't include Jean Luc in the "hired gun" group. He's renting a ride the same as if he were a slow guy.

Why he couldn't be satisfied with another ARRC A Sports Racing championship and new track record I don't know. Maybe he thinks he's ready to move up from DSR to FB? (Gosh, I hope the sports racer guys don't read that! :-).

And, I guess we shouldn't automatically toss Cole into that group either without knowing for sure. It's possible that his contract with Chas included hefty incentives for coming home with a national championship. Maybe Cole's got gobs of cash burning holes in his pockets.

:-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Russ,
    in cole's defense he is not paying for a ride. But that doesn't necessarily make him a "hired gun" since he doesen't know how to pay for a ride!! and I took the swift back.

Default Hired Gun

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    I've heard from a few sources that we can't include Jean Luc in the "hired gun" group. He's renting a ride the same as if he were a slow guy.

Why he couldn't be satisfied with another ARRC A Sports Racing championship and new track record I don't know. Maybe he thinks he's ready to move up from DSR to FB? (Gosh, I hope the sports racer guys don't read that! :-).

And, I guess we shouldn't automatically toss Cole into that group either without knowing for sure. It's possible that his contract with Chas included hefty incentives for coming home with a national championship. Maybe Cole's got gobs of cash burning holes in his pockets.

:-).
    Darn!! There went my moment of fame as a "hired gun"...Oh well...

Yes, I could've entered my Stohr WF1 Sportsracer in ASR but looking at the competition, I think it'll be much more fun battling it out amongst all you guys in FB. And after all, not being "hired" to do this, all I can do is go for the fun factor, right?

Jean-Luc
    Jean-Luc

Default It's like an IROC race

Man, the quality of drivers entered in this race is increasing all the time, with rumors of even more waiting to make dramatic late appearances.

I've been wondering when we'd hear from the Speads folks. Looks like they wont be lacking in the driver department.

(To increase my chances for a top finish) I wonder if the stewards would consider an inverted grid and race distance of one lap or less? :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Hired Guns

Well.....I guess that pretty much covers the "hired gun" deal.....and I have heard there may be a few more....anyone have Sebastien Boudais' phone number?

....and just for the record....

Dustin (the F1K.07 designer and our engineer) works for Apex Racing, an Indy Pro Series team and approached one of their drivers, Mike Potekhen, an accomplished open-wheeled pilot, about driving one of our cars at the ARRC. He agreed, but we thought a bunch about the deal and decided that putting a truly professional driver in the seat was a bit "over the top". Guess not.....

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Default Hired Gun....bring him on.....remember Tombstone

Matt, since the ARRC is stacking up as a major race for the bragging rights of whose F1000 is the best, I think having the Apex Racing driver is a good idea. From all the posts I read, the constructor of the car that wins this race will have major bragging rights, be on magazine covers, be subjected to major press and publicity for a new class and being the first year. Certainly from what I read here on ApexSpeed, the ARRC F1000 Class race is building a lot of anxiety. Since I own an F1K.07 Phoenix F1000 and have actually raced it, I am a believer in your product. The country and other racers and potential F1000 racers have read about, but most have never seen it.

I say, hire the pro, bring that new beautiful F1000 in the shop out for the world to see. Bring in the Indy Pro Series driver and let the world see what you and Dustin have done. It appears that this race is not about drivers, but the builder of the car and the constructors either major or conversion, whose the best. The ARRC is about business, building quality cars, conversion or otherwise, and hopefully selling and producing new cars. You have nothing to lose. Show your quality product, and let the world see the Phoenix.

Certainly the ARRC will be the ultimate challenge for the F1000 Class in 2007. Racers who want to convert will be focused on this race, racers who want to buy a newly constructed car will be watching. This race will be BIG for all those F1000 racers who both own and want to own an F1000.

The ARRC is a "major" opportunity for everyone to strut their stuff. You and Dustin have built a marvelous racing machine. Go for the gusto, and bring in the "hired gun". It should be a great shootout. Let the world see the Phoenix fly.

The Phoenix "hired gun" would certainly make a few other drivers nervous, and what a race it would be. AWESOME

After all, your from Phoenix, Arizona and part of history and the "wild west".

Go for it.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

Default Field

Wow,

This is shaping up to be a real SCCA IROC type event. Looking at the other classes, I see a lot of really great drivers, but this FB field is something else...

So, just to stoke the rumor mill... Mike B. said:

Who should be there:
    James Michael- Stohr-GSXR
    Rob Laverty- Citation-R1
    Tom Schweitz- Piper-?
    Tom Robertson- Phoenix F1K.07-GSXR
    Richard Dziak-Phoenix F1K.07-GSXR
    Brandon Dixon- Citation- ?
    Sure looks like 20 cars is achievable!
    Who else might show up?
    Phoenix - Common Matt, bring out your 'ringer' (everyone else has).
    Stohr - Perhaps a late entry from the left coast? Jaremko or Hill? or Neil Drakes F2000 conversion???
    Citation - A last minute completion (or two) flying in low under the radar?
    Others???

Enquiring minds want to know...

Seriously, this is the coolest development in formula car racing in recent memory.

Sean
    Last edited by Sean Maisey; 11.02.07 at 1:54 AM. Reason: I just notice Justin Pritchard is entered...

Default History in the making

One thought that keeps popping into my head is that this event is destined to be something remembered as very special. Think back to pictures and memories of races that really stick out in your mind. This has ALL the ingredients.

That is the main reason we decided we must have a group photo of all cars & drivers at this inaugural event. It will be held on Friday on the front straight at the conclusion of the Pro-IT race.

Sean M. pointed out to me in a PM a very good point - In a few years when some of these guys are in CART/IRL/ALMS, we can brag about being in the same race as them.

Regarding who else might come: I've been wondering why we haven't heard from Ed Dickinson in the southeast. He was one of the first to have not one but two F1000 cars - an RF95 & Speads.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Maisey View Post
    Citation - A last minute completion (or two) flying in low under the radar?
    Others???
    Sorry, won't happen this time around.

We've been busting our asses to get this done, but it's not quite there.

Brandon and I will be at the ARRC to look around and talk to people on Friday. We will have some of the parts there if anybody wants to see them.

Look for another update here sometime this weekend with more photos of all of the progress and some pretty cool machined up parts.

also- Pritchard is driving the Piper instead of Schweitz. I know they have continued development and they have fixed their engine problem that they were chasing. It should be a completely different car for them this time around.

Liked: 3787

By definition; Citations have a longer gestation period. It's a heredity thing. Sort of like "No good wine, before its time".

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    By definition; Citations have a longer gestation period. It's a heredity thing. Sort of like "No good wine, before its time".
    I don't think we are too far out from being done, Steve's making good progress in Indy, and we're making good progress down here.

Liked: 4

A lot of us will be watching to see how the Conversions fare against the purpose made entries.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

First off....there is no ringer. As I stated above, Mike Potekhen had agreed to drive the car at the ARRC and we decided to not go that route as putting a professional driver in the car seemed a bit excessive. I'm pretty sure at this point Mike's schedule is full and we couldn't possibly put the deal back together.

Plus...there's way more going on behind the scenes than you may know.....
    1. The reason that I had previously announced I wasn't going to race at the ARRC was because I was selected as a participant for the 2nd season of the TV show SETUP that will air on SPEED. At the last minute, I decided to not to participate as the taping schedule was going to be a major hassle....and I really wanted to be a part of this inaugural F1000 event.
    2. We've got work to do! Our shop looks like a tornado has hit...repeatedly. We've got the prototype to get ready and we've got 3 customer car projects we're working on. Not to mention some engineering work that Dustin has committed to do.
    3. My wife and I are in the planning stages for a move to Northern Wyoming and I am in the process of selling the business. There have been several serious inquiries into this unique business opportunity and I have a signed Letter of Intent from one of the interested parties. From our discussions I believe we have the framework for a deal and we are hoping to make some announcements soon....maybe even around the ARRC.
    Honestly, when I look at this event, it doesn't make any sense to attend. The caliber of driving talent is way above "Club Racing" level, the tow is going to be over 30 hours each way, and the many thousands of dollars we'll spend to attend could fund our entire National race season for 2008....but it's bigger than that. I do feel this could be one of those events that we all look back on and smile....I hope it is. So, as far as I see it....here's our deal as it stands today:
    1. I will pilot "Pepe' the test mule" at the event. I've never driven Road Atlanta so the learning curve will be steep. At least I've been able to play Sean's videos over and over and over again and at least know which way the track goes and an idea of the speed that can be carried through the corners. Our car is fast and I hope we can show everyone that a "regular old club racer" can go pretty good in one of our cars.
    2. Even if all the drivers listed showed up in identically prepared Phoenix F1K.07 cars....I'd be lucky....very lucky....to finish in the top 5.
    3. Our prototype is exactly that. The car was built only for testing, and truthfully, this is essentially a very expensive test weekend. It isn't pretty, and it doesn't represent the quality of the production cars, but at least we'll be there and we'll be able to show people some of the unique features of the car that we think make it a great product for the market. As I think about it....I don't think there's one part on the car that recieved powdercoating....it is all rattle-canned so we could make changes if we needed.
    4. We had planned to take a new production car to the event for display, but the transport logistics didn't work out. We only have room for one car.
    We look forward to meeting everyone...See you soon.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Matt, I'm sure I speak for many people when I say I'm extremely glad you are coming and fully understand why it isn't going to be an ideal situation for the F1K-07. We're glad you're coming and we'll all just be doing the best we can with what we've got at the time. The F1000 community is a bunch of knowledgable folks, so I'm sure everyone (that matters) will consider all factors during these early days of F1000.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Conrad View Post
    The caliber of driving talent is way above "Club Racing" level,
    Thanks for the kind words, Matt, but you know I'm just going there to have fun.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information