Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked: 27

Default Montrose Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by mont7 View Post
    This thread seems to be a blast from the past.

Rather than an open trailer, I opted for a small aluminum covered trailer that is only slightly heavier than an open.

With my Mallock, total weight is around 3,000 lbs. I tow it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee rated for 5,000 lbs.

Steve

I believe that is a Montrose trailer. Real nice. Wish I could afford one.

Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by T-Tom View Post
    I believe that is a Montrose trailer. Real nice. Wish I could afford one.
    Yes, it is. They were great to work with. I'm barely aware the trailer is back there.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default I like this setup...

Very compact....
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 126

Ram 1500 4X4 towing an aluminum 24 foot enclosed. Now I just need a car!

Liked: 23

16x7

QUOTE=chrisw52;575505]what size trailer? 16x? I am shopping around for a new enclosed trailer for my RF98 FF and I have a vw touareg currently[/QUOTE]

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 384

Mercedes Benz Sprinter 2500 195 hp .345 tq, plus 2500lbs aluminum trailer with car and goodies around 4875 total.
    18 mpg. loaded.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Liked: 13

Default F/Ford

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    Ram 1500 4X4 towing an aluminum 24 foot enclosed. Now I just need a car!
    How about a fully rebuilt 1978 Van Diemen. If interested PM or e-mail ajp241@yahoo.com

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

2005 V-8 Tundra pulling an open aluminum Featherlite trailer with a Crossle 35f on it.

Liked: 951

2003 Tundra towing a 7x18 Featherlite enclosed V-nose with a Crossle 25F inside. Loaded trailer weight is 4400lbs. 12-13mpg.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 104

Default A few over the years

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

1990 Chevy G-30 van pulling a 1985 20 foot Wells Cargo.

I like vintage

Liked: 69

2005 Silverado 1500, 5.3L with a 16x7 Haulmark "Low Hauler" w/V-nose. With a sports racer or FF/F2000 and spares, just under 5k#, averages around 14 mpg. Looking to upgrade to the newer aluminum frame version of this trailer to cut another 500# or so,.
    Craig Butt

Liked: 40

Default 1989 suburban 2500 454

Did a bunch of work to increase fuel mileage, rebushed the throttle body, installed twin electric fans, installed high efficiency Harrison AC compressor, valve stem seals and rebuilt the trans. It didn't have rear AC so I got a system from a 1997 burb and installed it. Originally came from Moose Lake MN. but spent it's life down in Frog country in Florida. I bought it from a drag racer that stored it every winter, I have done this also. It's all orginal right down to the paint. On a good day I've got 16mpg from it. Got it cheap ($3000.00) since nobody up here in the northland wants a 2 wheel drive. Towed a featherlite (32ft) with levelers & anti-sway. License plate has FASTDAD! Great setup.
    I would rather be making racing news than reading it. Living the dream out here in the middle of farm country

16. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 553

'02 Chev Avalanche 2500 with 8.1 liter engine. I try not to think about the gas mileage, but it's a little under 10 MPG. It has 4WD which I really didn't think I'd need or want (down south here), but it has come in handy about a dozen times.

I recently downgraded (size wise) from an 24' enclosed Pace trailer to an 18' with sloped nose. I like this smaller trailer a lot, but can no longer bring my street motorcycle to the track with me now. :-(.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 1115

'06 GMC Envoy with a straight six. They don't make 'em like that any more. Have needed the 4-low a couple of times when far off road (the map said there was a forest road there, but the map lied).

Needed the weight distribution/sway control hitch for a little 14ft. Look enclosed trailer (/wind sail), much happier with twin axle 16ft Haulmark V-nose and just a bulldog hitch.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    '02 Chev Avalanche 2500 with 8.1 liter engine. I try not to think about the gas mileage, but it's a little under 10 MPG. It has 4WD which I really didn't think I'd need or want (down south here), but it has come in handy about a dozen times....
    Yeah, thanks again! Who knew it could pull a motorhome out of the mud!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    Yeah, thanks again! Who knew it could pull a motorhome out of the Red Georgia Road Atlanta Clay.
    You're welcome. :-)

This past Saturday I pulled my friend's pickup and Airsteam trailer out of his muddy back yard. He had called a wrecker but when they got there they said, sorry, no, they might get stuck back there, too.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 65

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    Who knew it could pull a motorhome out of the mud!
    And that is why you need 4wd in the South

Most of my personal towing has been with a 97 Suburban, K1500 with 350 vortec. The 4wd hi and low helped me get out of my yard to make events and be able to leave events turned soup. Until a squirrel or chipmunk decided to eat the wire to the transfer case and I was stuck. Pulling a 24' enclosed trailer = 8 to 9 mpg empty and 8-9 mpg loaded. Open trailer was 13-14 mpg with formula car, 12-13 with 1950 lbs of Scirocco & stuff. No trailer 16 mpg.

Liked: 182

Big buck rig, surplus school van and open trailer. Good milage and easy to tow. Unfortunately no room for the pit cart. Fortunately not much rain in AZ.

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member crowe motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default Not mine TG!

I was at a traffic light stop and had to click a pic of this disaster!
    I hope the Piano made it!
    Scary!

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 130

Default If this is still ongoing........

My new tow vehicle is a Ford F-150 Platinum with the tow package. It hauls my Haulmark 20 footer like there is nothing back there.
    The only way I'm sure is when I look up in the rear-view mirror and see white.

One thing this olde back of mine loves is the pull-out bed in back. I can stack tires, tools and anything else I want and don't have to break my back and knees dragging sheet out. Bed slides out and you can reach anything in back by just standing along side the rear gate. Worth every penny.

I put a cap on the bed because I need this truck to help out in our other hobbies, mainly fishing, canoeing and camping.

I had a Jeep GC, Overland edition, rated for towing with 86 thou and 4 yrs on it when the tranny blew. 5yr, 100,000 warranty and they would not cover the tranny blowing up. Up till then, I have had 6 Jeeps and that was the last one I will ever have and the last Chrysler product I will ever, ever own......Bastuds......
    Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery...

29. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Very Nice Truck!!!

Liked: 141

Dodge Ram 1500 - 5.7 hemi - 14k GCWR - tow package (of course) - low height timbrens (rear only)
    ATC all aluminum 22' floor + 8' bunk - lightweight version - low loading height - tapered nose.

Last edited by dereklola; 03.16.19 at 10:49 AM.

Liked: 605

My truck looks like Allan31's but I went maybe a little too light ??? 2018 F150 3.3L turbo V6 2WD with the diff ratio meant to get some mileage.....specs say it's good for towing 5,000 lbs , 18 foot box flat nose trailer tall enough to stand up in weighs 3,000 - with the FC loaded up and all the tools and stuff, I'll get there but I'm going to need to take it easy due to having no aero.....I'll miss the diesel when I'm towing but I flogged the 2004 F250 into submission after 15 years. I despise the "auto-start-stop" feature of the V6 engine - glad Ford has an override button for it.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    I despise the "auto-start-stop" feature of the V6 engine - glad Ford has an override button for it.
    Me too. I'm going the F250 route to avoid it. Even with the over-ride I'm concerned the starting/charging and logic systems are a bit too complicated. Just give me the big V8 that won't be working very hard. I'll deal with the harsher ride and crapy fuel mileage.

Liked: 605

Window sticker was $38,000....bought it new/untitled with 1,400 miles as a "demo" 2018 in March 2019, Luxcare package and a sprayed in Line-X bedliner...I figure that's about $1,200 right there...for $29,000....so it was a fairly good deal. Weird thing was the purchase order from Oct. of last year with somebody else's name on it was in the truck....so I called him. He said he'd bought it but at times it wouldn't run or start....so he was given another truck. I got the service department records which showed how later part of the wiring harness behind the engine had chafed and worn through...so that was replaced and rehung to avoid it again. Also one of the tires was replaced.....huh? My hope is the bugs have been worked out. Now to find where the brake controller plugs in but the brakes are marvelous by themselves

Liked: 212

Dayrl

An F250 loaded with weight from the trailer will ride pretty comfortablely.. I towed w an F350 and while unloaded was a bit harsh with a trailer or some weight it was a nice ride. You will appreciate the extra capacity while towing.. a good choice
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

This is interesting. TCO gas v diesel.
    https://www.government-fleet.com/156...ers-know-about

37. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 232

Quote Originally Posted by dereklola View Post
    Dodge Ram 1500 - 5.7 hemi - 14k GCWR - tow package (of course) - low height timbrens (rear only)
    ATC all aluminum 22' floor + 8' bunk - lightweight version - low loading height - tapered nose.

Amazing, that's the exact configuration of trailer I've always thought would be ideal but never wanted to pull the trigger on as I figured it would be pretty much unsellable after I was done. A short box with a gooseneck for extra space and a smoother tow - what's not to like?! I really enjoy the colour too - looks awesome.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information