Liked: 31

Default Lightweight trailer suggestions

I am looking to replace my old IRD "Penny" lightweight formula car trailer for my CF/FF. Unfortunately this kind of trailer doesn't seem to be made any more. I am considering an aluminum ATV trailer made by Featherlite, model 1693. 6.5' wide by 12' long. $2600 local. Here is a photo:

It has 13" wheels, weighs 770 pounds. Load max is 1500 pounds. The one I am looking at has the slatted ramp that hinges up (and likely makes are REALLY GOOD airbrake) from the back, but it can be quickly removed and placed under the car if the car is raised on a small platform for the wheels. I like the short fence on the sides so I could put tote boxes or somesuch between the wheels and tie them to the fence. It also has sockets to make (from wood 2x4) higher fences.

Any opinions or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Tom Duncan
    Last edited by Tom Duncan; 02.13.07 at 3:20 AM.

Liked: 0

Take a look at http://www.alumaklm.com/
    Daryl E.

Liked: 31

Default Good looking trailer...

Thanks Daryl, I checked out there website and one really caught my eye, model #64133. Nice drop tail, double folding ramp for less 'air brake' effect, side rails, and nice looking. At only 12 feet long though the rear tires might be on the drop tail which wouldn't be good.

Photo here:

Anyone out there have/use/know of this brand?

I am going to call my local Aluma dealer tomorrow for price.

Tom

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 26

Default My 2-cents

Tom,

I went to look at an Aluma at a local dealer a few years back and I was impressed. They are very well built, materials are top-notch, and I would say they are on the overbuilt/HD side for our application. The decking is even wide aluminum “ramp” type channels. Very light – I could move it around with one finger. The downsides are they are not cheap ($2.5K - $3K?) and the front railing (tall) may limit how far forward you can put the car on (the nose on my S2 was a problem.) Also, they didn’t offer anything longer in that model if I remember correctly. 14’ would have been perfect.

Craig

Liked: 9

Tom,
    From the looks of these trailers, I would not rely on the stock ramps. Any modern FF will bottom out on the back of the trailer, especially the featherlite without the beaver tail. You will need to be creative with some wood and anything else.

Yes, big pit wheels would work. But this will force you to bring another set of wheels to the track, defeating the purpose of the small trailer. Maybe somekind of shock spacer to keep the car jacked up would work without bringing the extra set of wheels.

On my open trailer, I too put the totes, rain tires, and spare slicks between the wheels of the car. This kept the added weight off of the tongue. I used the wood needed to extend the ramps over the tops of the spare wheels to keep the load secure.

Tad

Contributing Member Mike Milner's Avatar
    Liked: 6

Contributing Member Bill Kincaid's Avatar
    Liked: 1

I'd keep the IRD! I have a trailer made by Victor Hertfelder that is a copy of the IRD but wider and I think a bit longer. Fits just about anything, weighs nothing, tows phenomenally well. Very low to the ground, I can load my car single handed. Why do you want to replace your trailer? If it's too narrow, you could probably widen it for a lot less than the cost of a new trailer.

I have an aluma 7814S trailer that I bought 3 years ago. It is single axle & 14 feet long. I move the empty trailer around quite easily . I made my own ramps from wood & tow a vintage C sport racer. The trailer replaced a twin axle steel open trailer that I used to own. The very first time I used the Aluma I asked myself why I waited so long to buy one. It is worth the extra expense.

I've had that same IRD for many years; it was great for towing a small production car, and later a formula ford. But I think I've tried to stretch its useful life a little too long. I was recently towing a formula car when the mounting eyelets on both leaf springs fractured (this was on I-75 bear Detroit, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised). Finishing the trip with the axle held on with a bunch of rachet tie-downs was not fun. We've replaced the springs and welded on new mounting brackets, but I have to wonder whether age (and suffering through too many CenDiv winters) has compromised the structural integrity elsewhere. I suppose I could have the whole thing rewelded, but it may be time to pull the plug.

Liked: 19

Default Push in Garage

If necessary for neighborhood........ forgot why I made the thing a little less than 7 ft tall ....5 feet something inside for good headbangs..........also good mpg......go to .....

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...trailer+source

Mike O

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

Default Landscape trailers

I ran accross this website while looking for a simple alum. trailer:http://www.johnstrailers.com/loc.html. The brand is Quality Steel & Aluminum Products and they make single and tandem axle landscaping trailers. The site has specs and pricing. I don't know anything about them so buyer beware but it's something I'll check into one of these days. Good luck, John

Thread Information