Liked: 0

Default Lola Adapter plate

I've got what looks like a Titan adapter plate for the tranny. After much work and additional welding, I've got it where it will fit on the engine. However, it will not fit the VW tranny. Any ideas about where I could get it to fit? It's 1/16" too big.

Mike

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Default Too Big???

In what dimension is it too big?

If you have the right adaptor it should require NO modification to fit either the engine or gearbox. You may have to "Work" the bottom where it needs to clear the flywheel, but it should bolt to either with no mods.

Mike, Jim's 342 had a Titan adaptor, but it is quite old of course. My Royale has an origianal Hewland piece. I've never heard of this problem.

Drop me a note or ring as I'll help if I can.

Bryan
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Default Lola Adpter

Well here's the drill. I got from a guy on ApexSpeed. It had been used once. Unfortunately the one time also consisted of the flywheel coming off. Thus some repair work inside was needed. It matches the Hewland plate. However, the inside rim is 1/16' bigger. Thus it will not fit inside the VW tranny. Any suggestions? By the way, I now have four wheels and 1/2 of a body. Progress...

Mike

Default Well this is perplexing...

Is it flat? Did the repair warp the adaptor? Did the repair in any way involve to lip area the slips into the bell housing?

Mayor Thought Here:
    Is the adaptor you bought one continuous round pice? Or is the bottom cut out to "clear" the flywheel? The vut out section could be a little as 2-3 inches wide.

If so, it is possible that during welding the whole thing "expanded" and became to big.

Check that out and let us know.

Bryan
    Bryan Cohn
    417-540-2595 text

Default Lola Adapter

Well, it would not fit before the work was done. I'm now thinking that I need to take a closer look at the tranny to see if it is the problem. The housing is the same one that Pagasus sells. It has a 5 1/2" cut-out across the bottom. The Hewland was different on the bottom. Stay tuned..

Mike

Default Hmmmm

Its possible that with the cut out bottom the piece changed shape during the welding process. Heat will do that to aluminum!

Can you "flex" it into place on the gearbox? I've done this once waaaay back. However, if you can bolt it to the engine without problem then it should be the right size and shape to fit the gearbox.

My how you come up with some interesting problems!

Bryan
    Bryan Cohn
    417-540-2595 text

Liked: 25

Default Another Adapter

Mike:
    I have an old Hewland adapter sitting around that I replaced on my CF. It has the bottom cut out completely and has had a little welding done. I am willing to send it up for you to look at either to compare or buy. It fit fine. I can't imagine that there is a problem with the gearbox. I am not sure how much the adapter is worth. I'll email you a couple pictures tomorrow with copies for Bryan to critique. The garage is sort of cold tonight! I guess it is worse up there.
    - Frank C

Default Lola Adapter

It is on the engine and will work with the tranny. Now to get the tranny to cooperate.

Liked: 1397

Take a dial indicator and check to see if the adapter is round and parallel to the engine block. The adapters are very easily bent.

Fix the indicator to the fly wheel and first measure the index ring for the tranny. Then measure the mating surface to the tranny. You do this by turning the engine (without plugs).

Don't risk the engine with a bad adapter.

Liked: 942

Default Alignment bushings

Just a suggestion from a grasshopper who had to replace his broken adapter... the information posted above is all true!

The engine side of the adapter should have the two of the four holes counterbored for approx 5/8" outside diameter sleeves. The corresponding holes on the block ears should have the same counterbore with the mating holes on the adapter.

Find some bushing/sleeve stock at the hardware store that fits inside the counterbore and slides over the bolts. Measure the total depth of both mating bores, cut to sleeves to length and chamfer the ends.

The bushings fit in the counterbores of both the block and adapter over the bolts and should accurately center the adapter to the block/crankshaft. Otherwise the ring gear is likely to rub on the adapter. If the adapter is "sprung" from welding, you may have to squeeze the open part of the adapter bottom together to make the bushings line up. Squeezing the adapter bottom together may reduce the diameter enough to fit.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 123

Default Adaptors

I went through significant pain trying to make old adaptors work. Not for nothing are most of the used adaptors hanging on walls welded up - they crack because they are marginally strong enough for the job. I had an adaptor that was fully 100 thousandths off center. It caused significant leaks from the input shaft. My recommendation is toss the old adaptors back onto the garage wall and get a nice new Webster adaptor. It will fit perfectly, and it won't crack and leave you stranded or pulling the engine at a race weekend.

There is such a thing as false economy. Getting a new part now and then can be the right thing to do!

Brian

Liked: 25

Default Correct

I think Steve and Brian are correct. The reason I have the old one in the garage (and it had not caused any problems, though I was suspicious of its role in case cracking) is that I replaced it with a very sturdy new Webster adapter. This should be in the RF81 Ian Prout has for sale. I recased the gearbox in that car, too.
    - Frank C

Default Adapter plate

This is a Webster. Now the tranny is pretty well on. I have not snugged everything up yet. Now I'm finding that the shifter rod wants to hang up just where one of the bolts goes into the adapter plate. Do I just start taking off some metal? Has anyone encountered this with a Lola 342?

Hat in Hands,

Mike

Liked: 123

I thinkt he first thing to do is snug everything up just as it would be to race. Fully tight. Then, see why the shift linkage is hitting. See if you can adjust it forward or back a tad, or rotate it a bit to gain the clearance. Then, if what you need is to grind maybe an eighth of an inch or so on a thick part of the adaptor, go for it. If you need to be grinding into a structural part or moving a fastener, then stop and figure out what you've done wrong. maybe the shift linkage can benefit from a judicious tweak or bend....

Brian

Default Adapter

Thanks Bryan. As they say, "It's always something." Why did I sell a perfectly well sorted out race car and take on this project?

Mike

Thread Information