Thread: Wheel hubs?

Liked: 0

Default Wheel hubs?

Can anyone recommend a good OEM wheel hub (or performance, aftermarket hub)?

thanks

46 views, and nobody can recommend a pre-fabricated hub assembly?

Liked: 59

Default Hub for what, why, how much, etc.....

64 views now.....and "No."

Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Liked: 1

the hub is the rotating part that the wheel bolts to. the upright holds the hub, suspension rods, brake brackets. SO WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?
    Ted

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Give him bearing sizes, envelope dimensions, wheel bolt circle and center bore and other pertinent information and Doug Lerned at TDC will make you the best hubs known to man out of the best material for the job. Price is not cheap, but for what you get and the quality of the workmanship Doug is one hell of a bargain.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4359

I used to own Mr Xtal's Tsunami when it was a FF (before the wings and bike engine).

It had custom fabricated steel uprites, custom hubs, large steel calipers, and custom 3 piece wheels. All of this stuff is about 3X the weight of current FF/FC stuff.

If he is just trying to replace his existing stuff .... he can PM me and I will pass along info to contact the original builder who still has jigs, molds, etc. I had spare (similiar) rear uprates which I sold several years ago. I could also pass along that contact info.

He may be updating to lighter stuff. I believe that the original stuff was VW based.

Good Luck!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Perhaps I am in the wrong place. I am very interested in building my own F1000. In fact, the description of this thread indicates it is a "homebuilt", class. Am I misinformed?

As problemchild mentioned, I own a (very) modified FF. Rather than modify it further, I am contemplating building my own chassis, as I have as much fun building as I do racing. Unfortunately I am rather tall and would like something I fit in, as well as something that is a little easier to source spares for. We are in the process of re-jigging the suspension assemblies for that car.

I am interested in a source for a OEM assembly to hold the bearing and for the caliper to mount to. I've always referred to this as a wheel hub assembly. The fewer parts I have to fabricate the better. Looking at it now, I think we'll try making our own.

Liked: 948

Default VW Based bits

If your Tsunami running gear is VW based....

The Zink Z-10 also used VW Type 3 parts for hubs, stub axles, half shafts, front uprights, rotors, etc.

Larry at IRP - www.formulacars.com sells a very nice aluminum type 3 replacement rear hub made by ICP. The bolt circle is 3-3/4" or they can provide the 130MM BC if desired.

I have a list of VW parts/part numbers used on my Zink. Email me on the address in my profile and I will be glad to send it on to you.

Otherwise, there are some sandrail builders who now manufacture performance VW parts for sandrails/dune buggies. Most of them are based in Southern California.

google vw sandrail or dunebuggy and be prepared to be amazed with the selection.

Some of the suppliers will fabricate to your drawings or sample.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Thanks Dan!

We have a lot of experience building CNC equipment but are new to cars. I have decent fabrication resourcees but would like to keep this to a minium. A list of commonly used parts would be a great help and a huge timesaver. Email sent.

We will be documenting the process for other people along the way. I would very much like to see this class succeed.

Liked: 123

Default Uprights

I guess you've figured out that the hub is the bit that rotates and the wheel is bolted to, and the upright is the bit that the suspension and the caliper bolts to. The bearings can be in either bit (for fronts at least), but more commonly in the upright these days. I have to recommend Doug Learned for both. He makes a lot of these, for a variety of cars, and so has a selection of parts that you may be able to use "stock". Since the suspension pickup points on the upright have a big infuence on suspension geometry, you might decide to choose a readily available upright and hub pairing from a late model Van Diemen, as an example. Those parts are readily available as well.

Other names: for the upright - hub carrier, and for the hub - stub axle. Sometimes it's easier to point and say "that thing there"...

Brian

Thanks for the contact information.

I am working on a model for the suspension geometry and as you mentioned, the pickup points are important, thus why I have decided to start from the wheels out.

Hopefully we'll have something in a month or so to post up and kick the design around. I hope there are others interested in building as well!

Thread Information