Thread: Roll Bar Mods

Liked: 0

Default Roll Bar Mods

I recently purchased a Lotus 61. Getting the car to accomodate my 6'2" 215 lb frame has been a challenge, the latest being a roll bar height that is not beneath the top of my helmet (I'd like to add 3-4"). I'm reluctant to change the appearance of the car, since it is very original. I'm sure the present one could be cut and a taller one fabricated with the rear support relocated, etc., but I'd rather consider something simple (and cheap) that wouldn't look goofy. Will an additional loop welded on the crown pass inspection? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

-Doug

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Roll hoop

An additional "crown" may not pass inspection. It depends upon your sanctioning body. Did you try the easiest solution first (remove the seat)? Personally, I would opt for a new roll hoop, because it will be the safest solution. You can make it aesthetically pleasing, and very few people will notice the difference. A "crown" will always be an obvious indication of a half-hearted attempt to correct a deficiency.

I sold my Lotus 51 about two years ago...wish I hadn't! It is still one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 123

Default Roll bars

In vintage racing a lot of goofy things seem to be tolerated, like roll bar extensions. That doesn't mean they are safe. The right thing to do is to have the bar replaces to as far down as practical, and making sure that the attachments meet SCCA guidelines. That will mean that you are as safe as possible and your car will be acceptable anywhere.

keep in mind that 2" over your helmet as a height requriement is a minimum, not a goal or a maximum.

Brian

Liked: 8

Default Bar

Most of the old british cars should have all the tubes nickel-bronzed on. It should be able to be removed intact. Keep it. and have a new one made.

You need to also make a new rear rollbar stay, and chop into the rear deck fiberglass to meet the new angle. So cut that out nice and neat, keep the piece and you can always return it to origonal.

While making the new one - Maybe have it Nickeled and polished. Fit a headrest bar and an additional bar for seatbelt mounts that can fit both regular belts and a HANs setup.

If you say the July Octane magazine, there is a good photo of the guy who bought my merlyn sailing through the air (not the one I sold him). The article specifically mentions his updates to the rollhoop and seat for bringing him home for dinner.

Remember, all the guys who died in the 60's and 70's racing cars?. Well, you are driving the cars they drove. Update them the best you can.

Liked: 0

Default Roll Bar Mods

Very sound advice - safety should always be #1. Many thanks to all that replied!

-Doug

Thread Information