Liked: 0

Default FF wheels needed - Sources?

Need new wheels. 3 3/4" dia. bolt pattern. Same offset as the original FF steel wheels. (Is that a commonly known offset, or do I need to measure?) I'm on a budget, so steel is probably fine unless I can find some good, not-expensive aluminum ones. Can anyone recommend sources where I can start looking for and pricing such wheels?

Thanks!
    Traci

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Buy the best.

New steel Weller Wheels from Britain West (519) 756-1610.

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

I just ordered Weller steels for my Lotus 69FF from Sasco Sports at VIR

Liked: 1

Traci - It seems to me that the used wheel market for FF has settled at about $100 per wheel for used; although there are few on the market. Revolution or Panasport are the most common. New price is just over $200 - just search Revolution or Panasport (kea on this website) for suppliers. I am not sure of the price for the "vintage" steel wheels.

Offset is measured by laying a wheel outside down - so you are looking down at the inside. Place a straight edge across the rim and measure down to the surface that mates with the hub. This meaurement is the offset. The most common offset is 3.5". A few cars use 2.5 for a wider track and some 3" offset wheels also exist.

Liked: 597

ugly but cheap steel wheels can probably be found at your local used foreign car junk yard - ask for spitfire wheels.

Liked: 259

Default steel wheels

Traci-

I have four used steel wheels; $200 for the set of four plus shipping from 93555.

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Traci,
    I have 4 used Revolution wheels that are yours for $250 including shipping to you in CO.
    michaelrand @sbcglobal.net
    Let me know....

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Offset is not what was described above, what was described above is backspace.
    Offset is how much and which direction the mating surface is from the centerline of the wheel.

It would be obvious when you order a 5.5" wheel and ask for 3" offset that you mean backspacing, but when order wider wheels with shallow backspacing, it is important that you are using the correct term.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

Diamond Wheel Co Milwaukee area 800-937-4407 I ordered 10 steel wheels from them in 2004 for my FSV and a FF $70 each at that time, powder coated black or silver Great product great service

Liked: 322

Default vintage FF may require steel wheels

Traci

Since you posted in the 'vintage FF' section, I will assume that is what these will be going on.

Be aware that many (most?) vintage classes require steel wheels on FF. Luckily our area (PNW) has loosened this requirement to allow same with alloy wheels.....

Good luck!
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

[quote=Quickshoe]Offset is not what was described above, what was described above is backspace.
    Offset is how much and which direction the mating surface is from the centerline of the wheel.
    quote]

CORRECT, I MISS SPOKE. IT IS BACKSPACE THAT IS USED AND MEASURED AS DESCRIBED.

Default Triumph Spitfire Wheels

Triumph Spitfire wheels are 4.5 inch wide and not what you want.

Liked: 4

Traci, I have a set of original Cortina centered wheels in great condition (fresh black paint) for sale. They are for a FF, have been run on a Lotus 51 in the past. Very straight, not beat up. If you still need wheels let me know and I'll try to make you a deal.
    Andrew
    Last edited by amorrison; 11.21.06 at 12:20 PM. Reason: adding more info

Liked: 490

If they're Lotus 51 wheels, they should be different bolt patterns front / rear.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Liked: 142

i bought steel weels a few years ago from Diamond Racing Wheels
    . They were cheap and ok but they didn't drill the lug holes at the proper angle. I had to buy a huge what looke dlike counter sinking bit and drill them to the proper angle (i think 35*) lugnuts.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 123

Default Get good wheels

We had a guy up here have a big accident on the back straight of Mosport. He bought steel wheels from a stock car outfit, the lug nuts they supplied were incompatable with the taper on the wheels, the wheels came off.

I like the Wellers personally.

Brian

Liked: 259

Default steel wheels - SOLD

my four steel wheels are SOLD

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Liked: 142

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    We had a guy up here have a big accident on the back straight of Mosport. He bought steel wheels from a stock car outfit, the lug nuts they supplied were incompatable with the taper on the wheels, the wheels came off.

I like the Wellers personally.

Brian
    sounds very familiar. Luckily i never hit anything. I did crack a few wheel studs before we figured out the wheels were different than the lugs.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Are there any other steel whels around apart from wellers? Need some to fit a 1981 VD FF1600.

Help!

Hamish

Liked: 123

What's the matter with Weller? Price and quality is good, range of sizes is excellent, availability is great for you being in the UK.

I bought a set for my Lola last year. Aside from modular alloy wheels, they were the only manufacturer (steel or otherwise) that made wheels in the correct size. No one else had 2.5" backspace.

Brian

Thread Information