Liked: 0

Default Lola T-342 Starter

Any suggestions for a starter that I can use with a T-342 Lola and still clear the rear radiators? I would like to avoid the Lucas starter. Any ideas with a Japanese convert?

Mike

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Default Start your engines!

Mike,

Try Larry at IRP or Keith Averill (both frequent this board often) for a starter that will fit your car. You'll need one with the multi position face plate so you can rotate the starter to fit. BTW, pay close attention to how it fits, as the Lucas starter only comes out if you remove the motor mount, twist and turn at never before atained wrist angles, and cuss a few times.

The newer conversion will be tight but will fit.

Bryan
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Liked: 65

I was thinking of getting a light weight Tilton, but I'd also like to know of another less $$$ alternative that is light weight too.

Default Lola starter

Bryan:

I have a one starter that might work. However, I am concerned that the solinoid might be in the way of the lower radiator hose. I might need to try to get the engine in first. Can I mount a starter with the radiators out?

Mike

Mike

I have a Tilton with my 342. I had to replace solenoid twice so i have had the unfortunate experience of removing it twice. But it wasn't bad. My radiator is adjacent to starter. I had to remove radiator hose and oil line to oil pump. Starter bolted in with 2 bolts. The solenoid is on top. I can email photo if you want.

arnie

btw: i found a great source for 342 body parts. I am going to order new body soon. Your body had turtle back rear which I did not like.

Default Lola starter

Arnie:

That body is heavier than the hinges of Hell. However, it could take a hit. I have a Tilton clutch and fly wheel. Since this has been a complete frame off restoration I don't want to stop now. So, do you recommend a Tilton starter? It sounds like they don't hold up too well. That is why I was looking for someone that had figured out a Japanese starter that would work well. It has to be out there.

Mike

Liked: 123

Default Starters

The general deal on Tilton starters is that they are based on Hitachi starters and the solenoid is the weak link. they are sealed units and seem to get knocked out by the vibration unique to the Kent. I've been told that the actual tilton solenoids and starters are modified to help prevent the failures, but with parts store solenoids I would be three race weekends out of a new one before I started to get ready to change it.

the "other" type of starter is a Nippondenso, characterized by a quite large solenoid, almost as large as the motor. The size is an issue in some applications, and these are harder to get as new units, but there are vendors out there. I personally use a Nippondenso starter for a 2002 Honda/Acura with a custom adaptor plate in the Lola T440, the solenoid hangs out though the chassis. I don't know how well the Denso starters last because I haven't broken one yet, I have abut 12 race weekends on one. I have a Hitachi on a BMW M10 engine and it's going just fine so far, no failures.

Brian

Default Starter

Mike:

I did a search, and found the thread that talked about an adapter plate for using a honda starter.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...=honda+starter

I did this setup for my 340, and finally got rid of that Lucas.

Works great.
    73 Lola T-340 #25
    Monty Python Addict "NEE!"

SouthWest Formula Ford

Default tilton starter solenoid issue with possible cure???

My tilton starter was rebuilt this spring. After a few races, the solenoid failed. My starter repair shop replaced the solenoid and installed a starter relay to allow the solenoid to be fired from the heavy main power cable and not the thin wire from the ignition switch. He said that the thin wire and at times low voltage would not have enough power to properly fire the solenoid and could cause the coil in the solenoid to fail. The new starter relays allows the thin ignition wire to trigger the relay which then allows the main power cable to power both the solenoid and starter. I have no background in electronics so judge for yourself if his statements re the solenoid failure is correct. Could this be the cause and cure for the comment about poor performance of Tilton solenoids?

Comments appreciated.

Liked: 65

How much does the Honda starter weigh? I followed the links to where the adapter drawings were, but they didn't come up.

Liked: 146

Ive been using the Honda starter for about 3 years now. Never failed.

Got a little man to laser cut out the adapter plate. Works a treat.

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Default Engine Install and Starter removal/install

Mike,

On Jim's 342 with a Lucas starter I have to set the starter in the engine bay and then set the engine in place. Once the gearbox is in place and bolted up, then I bolt the starter in place. For some reason this car has had a working Lucas starter for going on 10 years, with nothing more than minor cleaning and lubrication. It spins the engine over like there is no tomorrow, has only failed once (simple broken wire) and has had one new bendix.

I probably just jinxed it, didn't I?

I can remove the starter by removing the right engine mount. The chassis tube next to the starter is bowed out about 1 inch to make room for the starter to come out.

Your car looks great. Can't wait to see it on track!

Bryan
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Default Lola starter

Thanks everyone.

Mike

Thread Information