Liked: 0

Default Stolen FSCCA and trailer

If anyone sees or hears about a black FSCCA (chassis 24) or anything of the such please let me know as mine with the trailer were stolen from central Illinois over the weekend. The trailer is a plain white Haulmark Transport dual axle 14' by 7' with no markings or graphics. The car number is 98 in white lettering.

Thanks

Tony Specht

Liked: 447

OH NO!!!! Sorry to hear about that Tony! Hopefully once the perps opened the trailer up and find out what they took they'll ditch it somewhere. That really sucks... Someone recently told me that the market for stolen trailers is pretty good because they are turned into mobile crack labs. Wonderful world we live in, isn't it?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Apparently trailers can easily be off loaded in Wisconsin without a title or anything. If anyone sees or hears of anything could you please post here.

Thanks

Tony

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Stolen.

Tony,sorry to hear about this. Often perps don't know whats inside atrailer and want the trailer but don't know what to do with the "funny lookin race car" they find inside. Seems often they ditch the racecar and keep the trailer. Hope you had the car insured with Parish-Heacock?

Do you think they would dump the contents of the trailer locally or wait until they get to the place they are going to sell to? This area is a relatively small community so I am trying to pass the word to as many locals as possible.

Default Probably...

In your area there would be little chance to sell it so they would probably be more likely to take it to a larger city with more oppertunity to sell it and have it blend in with the busy invironment. I lost a trailer (empty flatbed) to theves that took it from a locked RV storage yard.It was custom made to my design and I still eyeball every flatbed I see but it probably ended up in another state. My insurance covered the trailer only because it was in a fenced,locked RV storage yard. When I got a replacement trailer I moved to a more secure yard and bought a "Denver Boot" wheel locking device like the cops use on parking ticket collecters. In your case maybe these perps will be dumb enought to try to sell it on E-Bay? You should FAX a picture of the trailer and the race car to every Law Enforcement agency in your state. I bought a trailer from an insurance co. auction and found out the owner had posted a reward for it's recovery and someone ratted on the perp and that led to its recovery!

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

This situation begs the question why we all don't have a GPS tracking system installed or at least the trailer and contents insured.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

That is exactly what was going through my mind. Does anyone make such a thing?

Google Parish-Heacock for insurance and GPS recovery devices for the other.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Liked: 59

Well I know Erik Skirmants has missed selling a number of cars due to a lack of availability....might send the info to the Denver cops !!

Very sorry to hear about that happening, Tony. Let me know if you find out where it went, and I'll see about sending a black helicopter over to their place.

I Googled Charles' suggestion on the GPS since I'm kind of fond of gadgets. The ones I was able to get pricing on were $600+ for hardware, and $250-$350 per year for monitoring service. I pay Parrish-Heacock and State Farm a total of $325 a year to insure the car, trailer and contents against all losses except on-track (which, of course, is where they've all occurred). I think I have a pretty low theft risk (but maybe a high risk of manslaughter prosecution, since Virginia frowns on shootings for property crimes), so this seems a little high. Anyone find some that are more reasonable?

Thanks,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

i PREFER AN ELECTRIC FENCE CHARGER THAT RUNS OFF A CAR BATTERY, HOOKED TO THE DOOR KNOW WITH A HIDDEN SWITCH TO TURN IT OFF WHEN YOU NEED TO GET IN.

A quick search gets this for considerably less than $600 and no monthly fees. Limited to 10 free pings a year but how often do you plan to get the trailer stolen?

http://rmtracking.com/products.html
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Default trailer-alarms.com (?)

I think these people have advertised on apex. may need to double check the web address above with a google

Liked: 18

I sell GPS tracking systems and trailer alarms. Shoot me an e-mail, or call me toll free. (I have placed a few paid ads in the classifieds.)

Lyle Clark
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    2x PRI Global Media Award Winner
    PRI Booth 7100

Lyle, About 8-9 years ago, I saw an alarm in the Summit catalog that activated the trailer brakes when the alarm went off. Have you ever seen anything like this?
    Bill Hetzel

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

For what it's worth, I used to NOT put race graphics on my trailer out of concern it would invite theft. However, it's now clear to me that unmarked trailers are the ones which are most often stolen. This is, I believe, because 1) unmarked trailers are so anonymous, hard to distinguish, and easily fenced. And 2) thieves think they might contain easy-to-fence construction equipment.

So, I'm now shopping for nice race graphics as, ironically, a theft deterrent. Make sense?

Liked: 25

Default Trade Off

I think the prominent race graphics issue may be a trade-off. The graphics may make thieves reluctant to steal the trailer, but at the same time encourage break-ins for tools. I have put "Chambers Engineering," city, and phone on my trailer, sort of like truck identification. I also put an ID on the roof. My idea might not be so good - it might not be prominent enough to discourage trailer theft, while tempting enough to encourage break-in!
    Do alarms do much good when a trailer is stored in a remote, fenced lot?

- Frank C

I have been told that there has been a rash of trailer thefts in the area ranging from empty trailers to trailers full of construction and concrete equipment. I will definately be installing some kind of device in my trailer next time. Hopefully the investigators can pull something together and recover at least the car. Having insurance is one thing but how do you put a value on all of the time and effort put into the car and set up. I think I would rather invest in an anti-theft system than insurance to be honest. By the way, all of this occurred in the Sterling, IL area.

Tony

Contributing Member

Default Wisconsin trailer titles....

In the FYI column, I own a trailer leasing business in Wisconsin and the State mandates license plates on any trailer over 3000 GVW and in order to get license plates, one would need a title for the trailer. I would happy to alert the trailer dealers I work with to watch out for some idiot trying to unload it or trade it in. Being about 200 miles away from Moline would probably make us (Wisconsin) a good target to relocate the trailer.

Jim,

I would greatly appreciate you do that for me. The trailer was actually stolen from the Sterling, IL area which is even closer to Wisconsin. The trailer is under 3000 lb so they would have no problem registering it without a title. The trailer is a dual axle, 14' long by 7' wide plain white Haulmark Transport model with swing open doors in the back not a ramp door. The inside has white painted walls with a gray epoxy painted floor and a tire rack on the left side wall. The wheels stick outside the trailer with black fenders. The rims are standard white steel spokes. Email me and I will give you the serial number and plate number. tspecht (at) tycovalves.com.

Tony

Liked: 212

my trailer was stolen last year, thankfully the car was not in it, but lots of spares were lost. My understanding is they register them as home made trialers, so they get around not having a title. i still look at every trailer that goes by, but know i will never see it again. sorry for your loss, i know how it feels.

len
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

double posted, sorry
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    PRI Booth 7100

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
    Lyle, About 8-9 years ago, I saw an alarm in the Summit catalog that activated the trailer brakes when the alarm went off. Have you ever seen anything like this?
    Bill,

When I started my business, I purchased all of the units out there. They use a car alarm, and don't even try to hide it. I carry Trailer Dog and Pro Tec alarms. Both units will lock the brakes. Pro Tec is the only unit that does NOT use a modified car alarm.
    Pro Tec also has an optional pager to page you up to 1 mile away. Or, you can tie our GPS unit to the alarm to send you a message.

Lyle
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    PRI Booth 7100

Default graphics?

If I was to put lettering on my trailer it would say-"Benner Pine Box Casket Co. Mobil display unit"

Quote Originally Posted by D.T. Benner
    If I was to put lettering on my trailer it would say-"Benner Pine Box Casket Co. Mobil display unit"
    But, the fun loving guy that I am, I would want one of those as well.
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    PRI Booth 7100

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Default Insure IT

The insurance you buy is the cheapest thing (and at the same time most valuable) you can do for your racecar, trailer, tools etc.

You gotta figure Tony lost what, $50k worth of real property? For under $500 a year it can be insured.

Heck, this is the one time you'd love you insurance agent!

I've used Parrish-Heacock before and was please with the service.

Bryan
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Liked: 605

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE
    Thanks EYERACE.

In a previous post I had mentioned that most were using car alarms. Yes, you can go buy a car alarm and adapt it. Just takes some time to figure out which wires go where, and which ones need relays. I bought them all, and found that it was easier to let those guys do what they do, and I'll do what I do.

Lyle
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    PRI Booth 7100

I am glad to report that the trailer and car have be found and are in police custody. Special thanks to my local region, the Great River Region, for posting a notice on their website.

Tony

Contributing Member Scott Hutchison's Avatar

Glad to hear that Tony. I hope everything is in good condition. Good Luck.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Are the bas######ds that stole it in the custody of the police also.

Glad to hear that you got it back.

Any damage?

Liked: 3

How far away was it from where it was stolen??

Liked: 605

eye am thinking to buy an enclosed trailer. i would visit the above websites.... and store the trailer not only with a lock on the tongue but with the wheels removed and the trailer up on stands. if a thief wants stuff, they generally want stuff they an pilfer quickly as in hook up and go not bolt on some tires and then run.

congrats on the return.....we all know that's a rarity

The trailer was found about 2 miles from where it was stolen. My guess was that they saw what was inside, got spooked and dumped it off there. I did manage to get a small 20 sec. or so bit on the local news station showing a picture of the car and the info, thanks to Jim Victor.

Nobody in custody yet, I hope they catch em.

From what I understand, it looks like it has been untouched. I am going to see it in about 45 minutes.

Tony

Default Thats great!

Well,relative to how it COULD have turned out! 2 words of advice-Parish-Heacock!

Liked: 3

Good deal...............I couldnt even imagine It makes me kind of wooozy about trailer theft since I am only about an hour south of you..................

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by ajs
    The trailer was found about 2 miles from where it was stolen. My guess was that they saw what was inside, got spooked and dumped it off there. I did manage to get a small 20 sec. or so bit on the local news station showing a picture of the car and the info, thanks to Jim Victor.

Nobody in custody yet, I hope they catch em.

From what I understand, it looks like it has been untouched. I am going to see it in about 45 minutes.

Tony

Congrats on getting the trailer back.

Lyle
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    PRI Booth 7100

Default Contact Info

Quote Originally Posted by D.T. Benner
    Well,relative to how it COULD have turned out! 2 words of advice-Parish-Heacock!
    Darrell,

Got and Address or phone number or website? I'm getting interested after this thread.

Mike

Default Pahish Heacock

Phone 1800 678-5173. www.parishheacock.com PO box 24807 Lakeland FL 33802. They advertise as a Classic Car insurer but handel all kinds of car insurance. They have a min. charge of $250 for theft insurance on race cars so if you car is worth $10.000 or $30.000 the charge is the same. Call and talk to them about what you want to insure. Their coverage is for just about anytime your car is NOT on the track.

Thread Information