Liked: 1

Default Cumberland Historics

As many of you may know, back in the 50s and 60s SCCA National road races where held on the airport just south of Cumberland, Maryland. After over 3 decades, a group of local enthusiasts, that remembered those great races of their youth, have started a program to bring the races back to Cumberland. For the first few years, it has involved a time trial or autocross format with the hope of actually returning to wheel to wheel vintage races in the future. I've attended a couple of these in the past few years and have had a great time. If they can gain enough support from the vintage community, I don't see why vintage road racing cannot return to Cumberland. If you can, please consider entering one of these events or at least check out the histiorical photo section of their excellant website and send them a email of support. www.nationalroadrally.com/cumb_historics.html

Thanks,
    Stan Vann

Liked: 9

I raced my 2000 Van Diemen FC in the October Autocross last fall. Having grown up in Cumberland I really enjoyed "going home" to race. For those of you who would like to know more about National Road Rally come by my trailer at any race and speak with John Felton who is crewing for me these days. He's one of the organzizers of these events and is one of the guys trying to bring racing back to Cumberland. There are many obsticles with the FAA to overcome but I know they haven't given up. There are some really cool pictures of the old races in the new terminal. It's amazing the guys who raced there such as Roger Penske and Mark Donohue.

Thread Information