Liked: 0

Default Custom Race Suits?

Any recommendations for a place to get a custom race suit? and idea of cost?

thanks
    Ian

Liked: 952

Default Check with your neighbor

Ian,

Visit Pyrotect (Formerly Bell Motorsports) Bob Booth was a long time SFR racer in FV and Mazda sedans. They helped me with a complete suit, shoes, gloves, etc., last year, at a very reasonable price.

Pyrotect and Bell are identical products, except for the label.

http://www.pyrotect.com/home.php
    ADDRESS
    3227 14th Ave
    Oakland, CA 94602-1014ORDER TOLL FREE
    800.669.2355TELEPHONE
    510.536.2355FAX
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

ye, forgot about them!

Any other suggestions?

I am an employee of G-FORCE Racing Gear (so there's my disclaimer), but thought I would chime in. If you go to the link below we have a custom suit form on the website that can give you a good idea of options and colors you will typically find available. You can find the same thing if you visit other suit manufacturers as well.

http://www.gforce.com/products/racin...stomsuits.html

Suits can range from a tad over $700 and go up from there. What will mostly increase the cost is the amount and kind of embroidery you would want on the suit and if you get option-happy. This would be for our suits or anyone else for that matter.

If there is some interest in our product, please call us as we would rather not answer questions here since there can be a lot of variables in the suit design. And this is probably not the place for any more advertising than providing a source for you.
    Last edited by BobPink; 02.28.06 at 2:30 PM.

Default Custom Racing Suits

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Stand 21
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Default Vas

Try VAS Enterprises @ (516) 775-1060 or through the Bertil Roos school. Victor, the owner, is a tailor by profession, and has been making Nomex suits since the early '70s. The quality and durability of his suits are excellent. Typically, his custom-made suits with the 'popular' options that most people order are about 2/3 to 3/4 the cost of other brands.

Liked: 3

[size=2]Victor at VAS does a great job. Both my son and I have suits made by him.[/size]

Liked: 34

Default custom suit

Ian
    Also try Leaf Racewear in Canada. http://www.leafracewear.com

They list a custom triple layer Nomex one piece SFI3.2 A/5 size XS-2XL for $499US.
    A friend had a non custom suit from them that looked pretty nice. He has not used it yet.
    dave

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Custom because of size, design, features wanted? Combination?

Many (almost all American) manufacturers will make a suit based on a number of measurements that you give them.

Leaf has a huge number of off the shelf sizes. I owned a safety equipment business over 10 years ago, but I did sell the occasional Leaf suit when someone didn't want to pay extra for a custom suit. They really aren't much more than their otherwise identical off the rack size.
    At that time, Leaf had XS through 4XL in short, regular and tall (24 off-the-rack sizes)

Liked: 2

Not that I have a horse in this race but, I was browsing some of these old threads and it led me to the Leaf Racewear site where I noticed they have 3 layer taylor-made suits on sale until Oct 31st, if anyone is shopping. (under $800) Just fyi.

My chest is 10 inches bigger than my waist so it's going to be a custom 1 piece, or an off the rack 2 piece suit for me.
    Don
    Reynard 83SF

Stand21 make great custom suits - but you need to sit down before you open the quote..

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Leaf

I've a buddy in Ontario, Garry Shortt / Shortt's Motorsports who helped me tremendously this past summer at the SCCA National.
    He reps Leaf.
    Give him a call, great guy. teamshortt@rogers.com
    GC

Liked: 610

Default Custom Race Suit

I don't know how custom you want it, but I would recommend Design 500 for the guys (Lady Eagle for the girls).
    Last edited by kea; 10.28.09 at 9:27 AM.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 39

Hinchman Racewear here in Indianapolis. Very good reputation, they made the first driver's suits for Indy drivers in the 20's.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I'd strongly reccommend that you shy away from the two piece suits even if your racing organization allows them.

Liked: 76

Try S R Racing for Race Quip custom If you are looking for a nice suit at a resonable price. Send me a PM for more info.
    Thanks
    Butch
    butch deer

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    I don't how custom you want it, but I would recommend Design 500 for the guys (Lady Eagle for the girls).

What Keith said and I think he can facilitate the purchase of it as well.

The other custom suits that I've seen recently that have been top notch are OMP and Stand21.

Liked: 24

IMO...the best is Stand 21...I have been racing since 1968.....and been through a mess of suits, never had the best IMHO...tried ALL of them...give Stand 21 a chance

Quote Originally Posted by IDSRacing View Post
    Any recommendations for a place to get a custom race suit? and idea of cost?

thanks
    Ian

TeamDI offers a fantastic two layer SFI 3.2A/5 suit, semi shiny outer, large back stretch panel, 3 piece shoulder gusset, and a soft knit nomex delta c interior.

You can check out more info HERE

Design work and all embroidery setup is included in the price.

Please contact steve@teamdiusa.com for more info

Thanks,
    Steven@TeamDI
    Steve at Teamdiusa dot_com
    TeamDIUSA.com

Liked: 24

ONE thing on Stand 21...these suits (if custom made) fit like a clove....no bunching no extra "stuff" and very very cool in temperature...I have the ST 3000. the reason I say this is the over confinement of most old FA's not sure if all Formula cars are small ...however the new suit really gave me a ton more room because it does fit so well.

I am 6' and 152 so a little less material where I did not need it was wonderful change.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

as mentioned above, call keith averill @ averill racing. 248-585-9139.
    i've bought 3 custom suits from him in the last 15 years, the last 2 being design 500s and they've all been excellent.
    keith will walk you thru the process to get a great fit.
    plus he's a big supporter of our type of racing, and is a advertiser on this forum as well.

mark d

I don't know how you can beat Hinchman Racewear. Made in U.S.A., all custom made with the best guarantee in the business. Reasonable prices, great quality and they have a lining for their suits that know one else has. Try them!

Liked: 2

Default custom suit

I got my from DJ Safety they are in Los Angeles, California. They make custom suits that meets SFI 3.2A/1 to SFI3.2A/20. The custom suit they made for me is fits great and is comfortable in the car and so far I have no complaints.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    I don't know how custom you want it, but I would recommend Design 500 for the guys (Lady Eagle for the girls).
    Yup, okay I admit they are local. But any body out here that wants a custom suit and has the $$$ to buy ANYTHING they want, go with Design 500.

Make them in Nomex or CarbonX too.

http://www.design500.com/racing_suits.htm

Order one from Keith Averill.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 9

We are a forum sponsor and carry OMP, Gforce and TeamDI. My husband and I both have OMP suits and my husband loves his custom OMP suit.

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...sp?category=19
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Thread Information