Senior Member Bruce Allen FSCCA #82's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Default ApexSpeed Forum is NOT Spyware

I mistakenly assumed that this forum was installing the "EGroup.IEAccess.C Dialer" spyware because I made incomplete tests. It is, in fact, a persistent Spyware on my machine that will require special effort to remove. Sorry. Feel free to remove this thread.
    Last edited by Bruce Allen FSCCA #82; 02.01.06 at 1:49 PM. Reason: Error
    Bruce, the "Greased Shadow"

Liked: 1417

That would be a definitive NO.

There is nothing coming from these forums but the cookies you use to stay logged in. The site is designed on a Mac and housed on a UNIX server, so there is ZERO in the way of Microsoft products being utilized (open to viruses), and absolutely no malicious items being sent from the server. Any destructive items or spyware that you have acquired are on your machine, and not from these forums. They are tested on a regular basis, and are free of viruses, worms or any spyware.

I can firmly say, without any doubt, that if you have a virus, worm or spyware on your computer, it did NOT come from ApexSpeed.com.

Liked: 144

Bruce,
    I wouldn't worry about a spyware issue.....it looks more like your Spell Check is malfunctioning.

Liked: 447

Interesting thought/accusation there Bruce. However, you're incorrect.

As a network administrator as my real job, I work with Spyware infected machines A LOT. What is most likely happening is that when you access the Internet at all, the Spyware that is already on your PC is respawing itself. You most likely got Spyware on your machine from some form of popup that asked for you to "OK" something, or some form of free application (Screensavers, Smiley Icons, Toolbar, or other crap downloaded from the slums of the Internet). Do you have kids that like to download 'free' music? Peer to Peer applications such as KaZaa, etc... also have means of infecting your machine with Spyware and viruses. Have someone who is knowledgeable about PCs take a look at yours and remove any applications that didn't come on your system or weren't installed intentionally. Delete all user profiles on the PC except for one that has admin access. Also remove and 'free' applications that were installed on your machine that are not commonly known (Thinks like Adobe Acrobat reader can stay). Install Spybot, Adaware, and update the Microsoft Beta you already have installed and run them in safe mode in the single profile left on your PC. Run all three, remove what it finds, reboot and repeat as many times as necessary. There are other things that can be done like running "Hijack This", but you'll need a better understanding of the operating system and registry in order to not screw anything up. If you still have problems and nobody can figure it out, save all your data and do a system restore with the CD that came with your PC and completely wipe your system clean.

Here are some types of sites in the armpit of the Internet which commonly cause the infection of Spyware:

Adult Sites
    Gambling Sites
    Free Screensaver and Wallpaper sites
    Warez/ Program cracking sites
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 1417

Yeah, what he said.

Liked: 59

My wife thinks this IS an adult site.....

Bruce: The Carter's obviously know what they're doing. Really ought to consider asking someone that knows better before making public accusations against the folks that put all the effort into this site. And after all they've done, even if I knew I was getting spyware from their site, I would have approached it a little more discreetly and courteously. Just me, I suppose.

Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Liked: 0

MY wife doesn't think this is an adult site at all!Tony.

Default Sorry

See the edited first post.
    Last edited by Bruce Allen FSCCA #82; 02.03.06 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks for the correction Bruce. Which anti-spyware app picked it up?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Keith I got a "hit" from Spyware Doctor referring to the cookie that Apexspeed uses. I ignored it completely as I knew it was being mis-interpreted as some kind of spyware.

Some of these Anti-spyware programs are a little bit over-aggressive in identifying what it thinks is spyware. To a novice that doesn't really know the difference I can see where they can be mistaken. For instance, any file with a .bat extension will get flagged immediately. Also all "cookies" get flagged as well.

I've used more than one spyware program ever since I got my PC hi-jacked a couple of years ago by some trojan virus that turned it into a spam relay transmitter. I always cross-reference any "hits" I get with more than one of the "Anti" software and check the source.

Last edited by Thomas Copeland; 02.02.06 at 12:10 PM.
    Firman F1000

Default Which Syware detector

Microsoft Antispyware Beta1 picked up "EGroup.IEAccess.C Dialer" but can not permanently delete it. ewido doesn't pick it up. Some tech forums have complex procedures for getting rid of it.

Download the latest version of "Hijack This" and run it. Have it create the logfile and post the results here.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

I just found this thread... You may want to try this as well:

http://forum.networktechs.com/archiv...819105981.html
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Default HiJackThis

I downloaded from this Web site the Spyware Doctor and for $29.95 it was susccessful in removing the malignant spyware where Microsoft was not successful.

Liked: 96

Default "Hijack This" for amatuers?

Keith,

I also have that Edialer like Bruce mentioned in this post.
    The website http://www.hijack-this.net/ states, "[size=2]WARNING: HijackThis is intended only for advanced users. It is recommended that you do not make changes using HijackThis unless you are experienced and know what you're doing. HijackThis is an advanced tool, and requires advanced knowledge about Windows, registry files, and operating systems in general. If you delete items that it finds, without knowing what they are, it can lead to more serious complications on your PC - such as your Internet no longer working or problems with running Windows itself.
    Use at your own risk. "[/size]

[size=2]I pretty much know enought to get in to trouble... dare I try the HijackThis product?[/size]
    [size=2][/size]
    [size=2]Also, the link you posted mentions Ccleaner. Is that safe/good?[/size]

[size=2]Thanks![/size]
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 238

I know you addressed your post to Keith, but let me pass on info about ccleaner. I've used ccleaner for a few months and it's great. It sped up my computer significantly. Everyone I recommend it to is very happy with the results.

Jim
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen FSCCA #82
    I downloaded from this Web site the Spyware Doctor and for $29.95 it was susccessful in removing the malignant spyware where Microsoft was not successful.
    And they say Macs cost more than PCs...

Hi Barry,
    I would advise against it. If you run Hijackthis and it gives you a list of potential spyware threats, some of which are things that have purposely been installed and some of which can be spyware. You will find that without a trained eye, you won't know a legitimate file from not.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 953

Has anyone tried Ad-Aware by Lavasoft? It finds and strips spyware that my virus checker doesn't find. I have used it for over 5 years with no problems. The spyware found is quarantined and backed up, just in case you need to restore something inadvertantly removed. Price is right too.

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0....aware&tag=srch

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Default Hacked by Turkish

Is anyone else getting a Web page that says "Hacked by Turks" on several of the forum links?

here is one that does it to me:
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Contributing Member Darren Brown's Avatar
    Liked: 20

yes, I am getting the same thing. I thought it was my computer.

darren

Thread Information