Liked: 0

Default what model or vintage are these mirrors?

These mirrors were installed on my FF. Can anyone identify them or, at least, identify what year or decade they might be?

Thanks,

alan

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

I'd guess 1990's.

They look like generic motorcycle mirrors.

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 1

Default mirrors

Motorcycle mirrors on a vintage ford. What a great idea Jon!

Tony

Liked: 232

Default MC Mirrors

They look like Napolean's that were used on several bike including Moto Guzzi and Bennelli -- The were later sold under their name by Lockhart and distributed by Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited -- as I recall they weight about 1.5lbs each -- this is probably more info than you need ... or want!
    EJ

Swift db-1 (019-85) / Ducati Paso Ltd SS / 70 Triumph "Bonnie"
    Plantation (Ft.Lauderdale)/SCCA-Florida Region 37 years
    JGenerotti's friend, dad, mechanic, assoc. sponsor, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift17
    this is probably more info than you need ... or want!
    Actually, I find all of this very interesting. I wonder when they appeared on the car.

I have two historical (logbook) pictures of the car. One is in Titan bodywork (no engine cover or engine undertray). The other is in Crossle bodywork with side pods (now available on eBay!). Neither photo has the mirrors that I pulled off of the car.

According to the logbook, the car was run in a couple regionals a year (at Laguna and Sears) through 87 and then not run at all until 05. Not sure when it would have an opportunity to sprout 90s vintage mirrors!

alan

Contributing Member triumph_tech's Avatar
    Liked: 8

Default Mirrors

After a re-paint we showed up at the track and had forgotten to install the mirrors that were sitting on the workbench in the shop 300 miles away. We looked around and spotted the mirrors on our Yamaha pit bike, they fit the holes in the bodywork and as I remember they worked quite well as compared to having no mirrors at all. Our mirrors were chrome but very similar in appearence, the bike is a 85-88 vintage.
    Gary Valone #44
    Zink Z10-C

Liked: 123

Default Mirrors

I used motorcycle mirrors just like those on a Cooper S racecar that I built in 1989. I thought they worked great, cheap too. Generic replacements.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    I used motorcycle mirrors just like those on a Cooper S racecar that I built in 1989. I thought they worked great, cheap too. Generic replacements.
    I think they are good mirrors. However, the car is a 1970 Titan Mk6 being prepared to Monoposto Racing rules to run in SOVREN events, so I don't think they are appropriate.

alan

Liked: 25

Default Period Correct?

Does this mean that mirrors from a 1970 BSA would be period correct and thereby acceptable?
    - Frank C

Liked: 8

Default mirrors

I wanted the "vintage period" look on my Merlyn and installed the Raydots.

Absolute P.O.S. The worst mirrors. I could not see a thing. A switch to some SPA type convex was all the difference in the world. It did not detract from the car at all. I would say the better mirrors, the safer everyone around is. Go for the newer style.

Funny thing about vintage. The mirrors are not really acceptable, but one can have Autometer guages or a digital dash board, shiftlights.... I had the orig smiths chrono and people would say, "scrap that tach, they are junk" go figure. I don't recall Penske Triple shocks delivered on the Merlyn in 1969 either.

Would BSA mirrors even work? Wouldn't the stalk come down to the handle bar at the wrong angle to adapt it to a formula car? Were mirrors even available on a BSA?

As far as mirrors and instruments and vintage, what is acceptable seems to vary depending on the sanctioning body. It all doesn't matter to me because I am restoring my car to something approaching what it was like when new while retaining some elements of its history (like some of the changes made to Crossle-fy it way back when). If I could find evidence that my car ran with those motorcycle mirrors in the 70s or early 80s, I would run the mirrors. But I can't, so I won't. I want to preserve a piece of history that I can use to occasionally dice with someone on the track, not win races.

I am probably going to put down the money for the Talbot mirrors that Aardvark sells (if I can get hold of Gunther and he still has them).

alan

Thread Information