Liked: 0

Default Vintage Ford wheels

Attached are photos of the wheels that came with my Titan. It has been running in Club Ford. I am trying to make it a Monoposto Racing (and SOVREN, since I will mostly be running their races) legal. I really like the wheels, but they aren't steel wheels. Anyway chance that folks would let me slide on the wheels?

What are the wheels? What are they worth when it turns out that I have to sell them and got steel wheels?

alan

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

They are Compomotives circa late 70's.

I would have been interested but I know they won't fit my Club Ford (at least my old Titan Mk6 wheels don't).

Can you confirm the bolt circle diameter (3.75"?) and the backspacing? You'll need to know if you sell them anyway.

Value? No Idea.

Jonathan
    Last edited by Jonathan Hirst; 01.07.06 at 6:19 AM.
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 1

From my understanding the East coast are steel wheels only, West coast will look the other way. Wish I was on the West coast, there was a reason why we all went to alloys lol, Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Allan T. Chou
    From my understanding the East coast are steel wheels only, West coast will look the other way. Wish I was on the West coast, there was a reason why we all went to alloys.
    Well, I spoke with one of the SOVREN tech guys and it is unlikely that I would be allowed to run those wheels.

When I pulled them off to measure the bolt pattern and backspace, I found out how light they are. Actually, I don't know if they are light for what they are, but after lugging around the 18" Aristos when I rotated the wheels on my VW R32, the FF wheels sure seemed light.

alan

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Hirst
    They are Compomotives circa late 70's.

I would have been interested but I know they won't fit my Club Ford (at least my old Titan Mk6 wheels don't).

Can you confirm the bolt circle diameter (3.75"?) and the backspacing? You'll need to know if you sell them anyway.

Yeah, they are 3.75" bolt circle diameter and 3.5" backspacing on the fronts and 2.5" on the rears.

I am thinking about keeping them, putting fresh slicks on them and using them to screw around.

So, are Wellers pretty much my only choice unless I find some old, used wheels in someone's garage? Where does one get Wellers from in North America? The only place listed on their web site is in Nova Scotia and i'd think it would almost be cheaper to ship them from the UK.

alan

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Vintage Tyres in NS is an importer, not a dealer. I believe they distribute (or drop ship to retail dealers).

Unless someone has a more local supplier for you, I'd start with a phone call to Britain West for a quote (519) 756-1610

They are my local Dunlop Tire/Weller wheel dealer. I have to believe it will be cheaper than bringing them across the pond yourself.

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 7
    J-Guy

Liked: 9

Default steel wheels

My brother and I have two sets of steels that we are thinking about selling.

first set: Standard issue white Weller wheels. 3.75" BC

second set: Vintage wheels. These look like original Triumph wheels. The wheels have the raised "lip" around each of the holes. 3.75" BC

Both sets were used for rain tires on various formula fords. I'll have to check back spacings, but I'll guess they are 3.5". Please let me know if you would like more info.

Tad Lenhart
    lenhart05@yahoo.com

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Wrong button!

Quote Originally Posted by lenhart05
    My brother and I have two sets of steels that we are thinking about selling.

first set: Standard issue white Weller wheels. 3.75" BC

second set: Vintage wheels. These look like original Triumph wheels. The wheels have the raised "lip" around each of the holes. 3.75" BC

Both sets were used for rain tires on various formula fords. I'll have to check back spacings, but I'll guess they are 3.5". Please let me know if you would like more info.
    Have we been exchanging e-mail? If they will work on the car, then I am interested. Just need to know the backspacing and the price.

BTW, what backspacing should I be using when running the spec Dunlop vintage Ford tires? Would it be the same as with the American Racer slicks that the car has on it now?

alan

Liked: 123

Default Backspace

Backspace is more about the car than the tires. first is the wheels need to have clearance and not hit things, second is not too much outward offset so that wheel bearings are overloaded, at the front not to much outward offset so that kingpin offset and scrub is wrong, and third is track width so that handling is balanced front to rear.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    Backspace is more about the car than the tires. first is the wheels need to have clearance and not hit things, second is not too much outward offset so that wheel bearings are overloaded, at the front not to much outward offset so that kingpin offset and scrub is wrong, and third is track width so that handling is balanced front to rear.

Understood, mostly.

I was thinking that the difference in stickiness between the American Racing tires and the hard compound, treaded, vintage Ford spec Dunlops might make a difference on what backspacing you can get away with.

I have seen a few set of wheels for sale that will fit the bolt pattern on my car, but they have the same backspacing front to back. The wheels on my car now have different backspacing and the previous owner said that it was well balanced like that.

The guy who have given me backspacing numbers on the wheels that he has guessed 3.5". This would leave my fronts unchanged and move the rears in an inch on each side. I have about 1.5" clearance between the upright and the tire sidewall with the American Racing tires. Do the Dunlops balloon out as much?

alan

Default Dunlops

Yu'll probably find that the dunlops are narrower in cross-section and are about as sticky as the AR's, certainly they can be as fast or faster.

Brian

Default Wheel Advice

1. Most all FFs use the same wheel backspace front and back. It makes your life a lot easier being able to use a wheel on the front or the back.

2. Given the choice of steel wheels, buy newer Weller wheels over vintage wheels. Probably much straighter and for sure much safer.
    Craig Jones

Is there a place that sells Weller Wheels that is closer to Seattle (and in the same country)?

alan

Default Look at it this way

Britain West is a lot closer to England, and that's the expensive shipping bit!

They most likely have some in stock, they did last time I asked.

Brian

Isn't Britain West in Canada, though? (And not even in the part of Canada that I regularly visit!) Just wondering if I could get them without dealing with international shipping.

alan

Thread Information