Liked: 0

Default trouble w/ heat on XP

I can't get her to launch on my XP machine. Tries the compatibility modes, still no luck. Any tips or suggestions?

Liked: 6

Default Running on an XP

There is a whole thread about installing Nascar Heat located at http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4281

First question would be did you get the original Nascar Heat (tintops/ovals) to run from the CD?

Wee Bobbie
    Haggis racing

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McColl
    There is a whole thread about installing Nascar Heat located at http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4281

First question would be did you get the original Nascar Heat (tintops/ovals) to run from the CD?

Wee Bobbie
    Haggis racing
    nope. it won't start. I read all the instructions and tried compat mode, I cant get it to start on my PC with xp pro sp2. It ran fine on mylaptop with xp pro sp2 with the F2000 mod (and tin tops). I even copied the files from laptop to PC to see if it would run that way, but it did not work. My PC is an AMD3500, 7800gt vid card, 1mg ram. all drivers are updated. I am thinking the game doesn't like my vid card, but it could be something else. It is very frustrating having this kick ass PC that I built for race sims, and I can't get this one to work! All other games run great....

Liked: 6

Default Copying Folders

[size=1]About 10 days ago I tried to install the sim to my new computer and ran into difficulties. System is a P4 3GHz - 512 MB RAM- XPpro - Radeon 9600PRO VideoCard.[/size]

[size=1]Originally I couldn't get HEAT to even install/run properly from the CD. No matter what I tried the computer locked up - requiring a complete poweroff/poweron restart[/size]

[size=1]I finally decided to copy the complete "Hasbro Interactive" Folder from another working version on another node in my network. Note: I did rename the existing "Hasbro Interactive" Folder to "Hasbro Interactive Old" before I copied the working one. I also renamed the "F2000" subfolder to "F2000old" so as not to confuse myself or create double directories[/size]

[size=1]I then turned off all unnecessary apps - Norton etc. Applied the 1.8 and NoCD patches and HEAT would run the tintops fine. I then ran the F2000_Final.exe that I had downloaded last February. A new F2000 subfolder was created (as I would have expected) but when I clicked on the F2000.exe icon all I got was the standard NastyCar tintops.[/size]

[size=1]Apparently this version of the download inserted a "b" after the F2000 in \NHeat.exe"-mod:F2000-noautoplay. Took out the "b" and now the F2000 sim runs great... except that when I launch the F2000 Sim I get a popup that states that the Sim is not designed to run on Windows 2000 - which I just ignore and continue.[/size]

[size=1]Along the way Keith Carter offered the following advice[/size]
    [size=1]1) Video Driver - Download the latest drivers[/size]
    [size=1]2) Don't use compatibility mode - I've had nothing but problems when setting it to comp mode[/size]

[size=1]This work around worked for me. If is doesn't work for you maybe it is the video card. Maybe some of the Sim Pro's on this site may have some more ideas.[/size]

[size=1]Best regards and have a Merry Christmas,[/size]
    [size=1]Wee Bobby[/size]
    [size=1]Haggis Racing[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McColl
    [size=1]About 10 days ago I tried to install the sim to my new computer and ran into difficulties. System is a P4 3GHz - 512 MB RAM- XPpro - Radeon 9600PRO VideoCard.[/size]

[size=1]Originally I couldn't get HEAT to even install/run properly from the CD. No matter what I tried the computer locked up - requiring a complete poweroff/poweron restart[/size]

[size=1]I finally decided to copy the complete "Hasbro Interactive" Folder from another working version on another node in my network. Note: I did rename the existing "Hasbro Interactive" Folder to "Hasbro Interactive Old" before I copied the working one. I also renamed the "F2000" subfolder to "F2000old" so as not to confuse myself or create double directories[/size]

[size=1]I then turned off all unnecessary apps - Norton etc. Applied the 1.8 and NoCD patches and HEAT would run the tintops fine. I then ran the F2000_Final.exe that I had downloaded last February. A new F2000 subfolder was created (as I would have expected) but when I clicked on the F2000.exe icon all I got was the standard NastyCar tintops.[/size]

[size=1]Apparently this version of the download inserted a "b" after the F2000 in \NHeat.exe"-mod:F2000-noautoplay. Took out the "b" and now the F2000 sim runs great... except that when I launch the F2000 Sim I get a popup that states that the Sim is not designed to run on Windows 2000 - which I just ignore and continue.[/size]

[size=1]Along the way Keith Carter offered the following advice[/size]
    [size=1]1) Video Driver - Download the latest drivers[/size]
    [size=1]2) Don't use compatibility mode - I've had nothing but problems when setting it to comp mode[/size]

[size=1]This work around worked for me. If is doesn't work for you maybe it is the video card. Maybe some of the Sim Pro's on this site may have some more ideas.[/size]

[size=1]Best regards and have a Merry Christmas,[/size]
    [size=1]Wee Bobby[/size]
    [size=1]Haggis Racing[/size]
    Thanks Bob...
    I did the same as you (I saw you copied the folder in another post) and it still didn't work for me. I just can't believe I can't get this game to run on this PC. It is a brand new 7800GT video card, latest drivers, and it still wont run. Quite aggravating.
    Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions?

Liked: 447

Can you provide a little more detail? What icon are you clicking on? What happens when you click the icon? Does it change screens at all? Does it say there was an error and to check out the log? Do you get to the menu screen and then bomb out when you try to run a race? What is the path in the properties of the link you are clicking on? Do the stock cars run without the mod? Did you run the game after the first fresh install without installing any patches or mods? At what point does it stop working? Did you install it to the default path (it wont run mods when you change the path from the default Hasbro path to the C drive)?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter
    Can you provide a little more detail? What icon are you clicking on? What happens when you click the icon? Does it change screens at all? Does it say there was an error and to check out the log? Do you get to the menu screen and then bomb out when you try to run a race? What is the path in the properties of the link you are clicking on? Do the stock cars run without the mod? Did you run the game after the first fresh install without installing any patches or mods? At what point does it stop working? Did you install it to the default path (it wont run mods when you change the path from the default Hasbro path to the C drive)?
    Keith (thnks for trying to help here)...
    I can't get HEAT alone to run (not to mention the mod). When I try to run it on a fresh install (no mods, no patches), I insert disk, the "play, setup,release notes,exit" screen comes up,click on setup, it copies the files to hard drive (my local hard drive is labeled as F, does that matter??), files copy. Click on play in the "play,setup, relaease notes,exit" screen,get the hour glass, after a few minutes, it crashes to desktop. It never even goes to the main game menu screen. no error log.
    It does the same thing if I try to "play" from the main screen without running setup.
    I copied the working modded (and native)version from my laptop(running XP pro) to my PC (running same OS), same thing happens.
    What to try next??

I believe you may be running into problems because your primary disk is F. There are a lot of things (with mods especially) that are hard coded to go to the "C" drive. That would be the first thing I would look at. On the other PC you had it working on, did it also use F as the primary drive?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

I believe you may be running into problems because your primary disk is F. There are a lot of things (with mods especially) that are hard coded to go to the "C" drive. That would be the first thing I would look at. On the other PC you had it working on, did it also use F as the primary drive?
    no it is "c". I just tried it on another pc here in my office, and it works perfectly (it also is on "c" drive)...
    How hard is it to change drive letters?

It wouldn't be hard to do if it wasn't your primary drive. Since it's the core drive of your system, I wouldn't recommend attempting it. It would cause your registry to be HEAVILY modified in order to get it to work. The easist and simplest way to do it would be to format the hard drive and do complete reinstall of everthing from scratch. This time setting your primary drive (where you install XP) to the C partition you create. How did you end up with XP on the F drive? Is is a multiple boot system with other operating systems on it?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

It wouldn't be hard to do if it wasn't your primary drive. Since it's the core drive of your system, I wouldn't recommend attempting it. It would cause your registry to be HEAVILY modified in order to get it to work. The easist and simplest way to do it would be to format the hard drive and do complete reinstall of everthing from scratch. This time setting your primary drive (where you install XP) to the C partition you create. How did you end up with XP on the F drive? Is is a multiple boot system with other operating systems on it?
    When I built the computer, I guess it just defaulted to F? It is not a mulitple boot system. How do you format the hard drive? Reinstalling everthing wouldn;t be too bad since there is not much on it yet anyway since it is a fairly new system (a few months).

The easiest way to do it would be to put the XP OS disk in and then when it shows the hard drive volumes it detects, you need to remove all of them and then create a new C (and preferably also a D) partition to install the OS on. That's a start, but you may need to enlist the help of someone who has done it before to get you where you need to be. Good luck!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

The easiest way to do it would be to put the XP OS disk in and then when it shows the hard drive volumes it detects, you need to remove all of them and then create a new C (and preferably also a D) partition to install the OS on. That's a start, but you may need to enlist the help of someone who has done it before to get you where you need to be. Good luck!
    I was just reading the xp "help" section, it has a how to... i will try that first. I will have to enlist my father inlaw who is a computer guy (for a living), I just hate to bother him with "little" stuff like this.
    Thanks Keith, i will post again when I get her running!

Got it working (on my F drive) !! I copied the working files from my laptop to CD, then copied onto my PC... I can race now!!!

Thanks for your help guys!

Thread Information