Liked: 502

Default reynard 92H on ebay

Item number 4598065105

Liked: 126

How good is this car? About the same or better than a DB4?

Liked: 11

What a horrible add.

No details, pictures suck, no history.....

why would anyone bid on this??
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Agree - horrible.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav
    How good is this car? About the same or better than a DB4?
    I've been perusing some 1992 On Track magazines lately. From them I gather that the 91H wasn't much of a success, but the 92H was winning most of the races in the winter of its debut (Tasman series?). Swift was considering an upgrade to the DB-4 (DB-4B, or something like that) to stay competitve, and people were expecting the Ralt RT-40 to appear on the scene soon.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thanks Russ. So it might be a reasonable car. Too bad the EBay ad stinks. The guy is also selling an airplane... Do you guys in the south know this car / guy? I will ask him for more info, but $21K seems too much. I like the price Russ paid for his DB4... lol.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Depending on spares and condition of engine and box, 21k is a reasonable price to ask.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

I paid $20,000 for my DB-4. I'm not aware of any others that have sold for that low. And, of course, I'm finding things that require mo money spent before it's ready to take to the track. So I agree with Charles' assesment (knowing what we do - not much).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thanks Charles and Russ. Probably a fair price, but you never know until you see it. Too bad the car is in FL and I am in CT. Anyway, I had the opportunity to buy a DB4 almost 2 years ago but didn't have the cash at the time (divorce proceedings). That car was in CT, and I really fell for it after spending hours going through it. It looked, smelled, felt, and sounded like a real racecar (after running FC). It got the blood pumping. So that's where I want to go now. It was Paul LeCain's old car.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default Reserve?

The starting price is 21, we don't know what his reserve price is. Could be much higher. Usually is.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 4

Do you know where that car is now? I know Fleming had it but never really drove it. He painted it blue. I was wondering who bought it.

My two cents on the Reynard vs Swift. The Reynard is a tough car to set up. Its hard to work on in comparison. I remember watching Shelton chnage springs at Lime Rock and I thought "wow...that looks like a bear." It also has a very small "sweet spot" compared to the Swift. Anyone I talked to running a Reynard even remotely quick ran it low and super stiff. I mean low enough that they could not push it around the paddock.

Not to hijack the thread, but Russ points out an oft-ignored issue when buying a race car. Remember, you get what you pay for. For those always trying to get the most for the least it is worth noting that race cars' lives are designed to use up the car. Russ has mentioned having to add more funding before it is even ready to get on track. The best thing you can find is a car the owner admits is worn out and needs a total going through. Don't believe it if he says it doesn't. You might as well figure all race cars need a total going through. I always advise buyers of my cars that they should go through them completely, with the attendant costs. Even if I would jump in it and go racing, I don't expect anyone else to. Nor will I jump in anyone else's car without going through it, and I expect the increased costs prior to the track. (That doesn't apply to testing a car for someone who is currently racing it. Then I just have to know his standards of maintenance.)
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Scott's right. The starting price doesn't really tell you anything.

What was the asking price for Paul LeCain's old car at the time (and what did it include)?

Of course, the asking or selling price in 2003 may not tell you much about what the car would be worth in today's market.

I think everyone is expecting atlantic prices to come down with the recent announcement regarding the pro series. I haven't really noticed any significant price drops, but then again, I haven't been shopping for a more current atlantic (Swift 008, 014).

As always, it will boil down to supply and demand.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Yes - thanks - good comments and spot on all.
    Fleming's car (Paul's) was a great buy. It sold for a max of $20K (the asking price) to a guy on the west coast. Bob Boucher was selling it for him. You should've seen the spares package. Incredible. Wheels, uprights, gears, body, suspension, brakes... I'm sure Paul knows what was there. The engine was Weber'd. If I could find that today, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Good point on the reserve price. I'd rather find a DB4 then.

How about something like this:

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/lo...26897561ss.htm

and putting a Mazda Renesis in it? Not legal as an FA, but who knows how the FA rules will change over the next few years?

How about something like this <snip>
    Fun to think about, but, "The car is complete except for engine and radiators as far as I can tell."

Yeah, that's what I'd probably put in the ad, too. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 14

That car was one of two bought from the Chesrowns in Ohio. I know this because the 92h thats for sale and the other 92h spent a year in my shop. Run as far away as possible from this car. Unless *MAJOR* work was done, after buying this car you are going to be out a piss load of money making the car right. HAd some nice peices on it but the owner perferred to buy new cars rather then spend money on his existing ones. If you want the car arrange to check it out 1st. If it was finally prepared properly then go for it. A 92h can be made to be plenty quick.

Kevin
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 4

Yes - thanks - good comments and spot on all.
    Fleming's car (Paul's) was a great buy. It sold for a max of $20K (the asking price) to a guy on the west coast. Bob Boucher was selling it for him. You should've seen the spares package. Incredible. Wheels, uprights, gears, body, suspension, brakes... I'm sure Paul knows what was there. The engine was Weber'd. If I could find that today, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    We sold that car race ready with enough spares to build at least another car minus the tub. The front end (including aero) was not really Swift but a Stu Moore design. The tub had been relaminated. The rear wing package was Bahner 3 element with Swift as a rain wing. The motor was the best Atlantic motor we've ever had. It was a really fast DB-4. How it was after Fleming owned it, I do not know. $20,000 for that package was a steal!

<snip> It sold for a max of $20K (the asking price). Bob Boucher was selling it for him.
    I vaguely remember that car on the market. I don't remember the $20,000 price tag, though. I'm pretty sure that would have caught my attention.

Here's an ad for it at $26,000:
    http://p081.ezboard.com/fdsrforumfrm...icID=265.topic
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default Buyer beware

The guy selling this car is not much help. He answers questions with questions, "How much are you willing to pay?" and divulges very little information about the cars history. I would take Kevin's advice on this and RUN AWAY!

Yes Russ, that was the original price and add. He and I discussed price, and he said his minimum was $20K. Not sure what it sold for, but probably about that. Wish it was in my garage now. Bummer.

Quartz - I asked for info too and have received nothing yet. I guess RUN AWAY seems appropriate.

In response to the question (which no one asked :-), "Why would someone put such an uninformative auction on ebay?"

What better way to reach a HUGE audience? The listing on ebay is a lot cheaper than other sites (or magazines) that charge for an ad.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 0

Default my old car

When the car left my shop it needed a new cluth. It only had a few races on the chassis, if I remember corectly 3 or 4. The other car that he has as well "Yellow" I spent close to 30K putting it in raceready shape. The silver car was purchased as a back up and only tested one session when I owned it. I supplied enough spares to replace all four corners, complete suspension and uprites. plus spare front and rear wings. I had no problem at Mid-Ohio beating swifts and rt40s that were on the club level racing. The car was way better than I was.
    David

If you really want a headache and a bottomless money pit in your garage then get the Indy car. Anyone who thinks theyt will ever be a good deal (other than on your wall or in your display room) will get a major and expensive surprise.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Thanks Charles for those frank comments. I certainly don't have the money (or time) for something like that.

(Warning: Thread diversion)

How about this atlantic instead?

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/lo...33865441lk.htm

After following the link, click "Index" or "Specs" for more pictures or details.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 11

Default Cheap atlantics

Please don't quote me on this but due to the current low prices of used atlantic cars they are attracting a lot of interest from people who do not have the ability to run these cars properly. I can almost guarantee you that a 20k atlantic car is not ready to race safely without a complete ground up. I bought my Swift DB4 for 14k as a roller and then found a Toyota for 7k,all sold to me as "ready to race". I have preped my own FF and FC cars but was advised to get a professional who knew these cars to go through it for me. Very glad I did that because eventhough the car looked great, the shop showed me lots of parts with cracks that were ready to break. Doubled the cost of the car to me but possibly saved my life.

Default Reynard 92H

Interesting some Reynard 92H's are starting to resurface.

The lineage is correct, The Reynard 92H came out as a Swift DB4 beater then got beat by the RT40/41. Low and very stiff was the rule of the day, especially on Yoks and ovals.

I own a 92H chassis #002 that won the New Zealand FA series in winter 1991 with Craig Baird at the wheel. When I got the car it had only 6 North America races but required much referbishing and updating. My original plan was to body the car for CSR but now am 'hooked' on FA. There were approx. 6 factory upgrades including suspension, gusseting in the oiltank/adapter ears, plate tieing the bellhousing/oil tank. I am much like Mr. Chesrown - the car is quicker than I. Q5 at the 2005 June Sprints only to have a very 'rusty' race performance.

Randy Cook, California, also has the same car, a one year newer 93H. He had a very good Runoffs in 2004 and sucessful 2005 westcoast season. He purchased most of the factory spares when Reynard left the atlantic business. Between the two of us we own most of the bodywork molds including tunnels.

I tried a DB4 but could not get comfortable with the very narrow tub. The 92H is an all carbon tub with a wider middle section for more 'senior' drivers. It can be difficult to work on, especially changing rear springs.

As with most cars, race cars included, buyer beware. Just wanted to set the record straight about the 92/93H.

Wally Butler
    Freezing in Canada

Default disclaimer

I wasn't trying to suggest any value or lack thereof by starting this thread. I think atlantics are cool...........sorry, Paddy...... this thread certainly wasn't meant to endanger anyone.....
    jeesh...

Paddy's warning could have been aimed directly at me (though I'm not accusing him of that), and I do not take offense at all. It doesn't hurt me to be reminded that owning/preparing/driving an atlantic shouldn't be taken lightly.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB
    Paddy's warning could have been aimed directly at me (though I'm not accusing him of that), and I do not take offense at all. It doesn't hurt me to be reminded that owning/preparing/driving an atlantic shouldn't be taken lightly.
    ok, what a great gift for a mother in law....lol

I've never had a mother-in-law... but Paddy's comments could have been aimed at me too. Frankly, I appreciate them.

mee too, but if ya don't mind, my name is marshall, not Frankly, thanx.....lol
    happy holindaise

Contributing Member
    Liked: 2

Paddy's comments fit no one better than me. All I knew of Formula cars were what I came across on Ebay while shopping for a roller to support my hot rod project, which means a lot of FF cars. Problem is very few had inboard suspension, which was a requirement simply due to aesthetics. I have been around tracks for a couple years now, but I just haven't seen much Formula stuff up here in MI. Then this 90H comes up in my price range (sub 10K), I buy it now, find this site the same day, and will never be the same. I have been talking to some amazing people while trying to sell parts. The formula community is really impressing me. I just met Sean O'connell this weekend and traded side pods for his RF96 frame and bodywork, and may just build me a FS. I am having a blast disecting this Reynard, studying the alien technology. (Alien to me anyway!) I know that people like me and Ebay have screwed up the market of what used to be a more exclusive community, so I apologize. But for me, buying a FA that was long, LONG, from ever being a race car again was kind of my ticket to entry in the Formula world.

Having too much fun,
    Kyle Verploegen

No problems Kyle,

I did the same thing with an old Tui SuperVee - built in 1973. I really learned a lot with that car, and it too will soon be a FS car for its new owner.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Butler FA#68
    Interesting some Reynard 92H's are starting to resurface.

Randy Cook, California, also has the same car, a one year newer 93H. He had a very good Runoffs in 2004 and sucessful 2005 westcoast season. He purchased most of the factory spares when Reynard left the atlantic business. Between the two of us we own most of the bodywork molds including tunnels.

Wally Butler
    Freezing in Canada
    Wally

Can you please drop me a line at russ_giles@hotmail.com.
    I would very much like to discuss Reynard FA bodywork with you or Randy.

Regards

Russ

Liked: 1

Russ McB's car is not a junker Ive seen it and we looked at it for an hour or so and it is the real deal!
    Can that car, the '71 be raced in FA or is it to old ?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

There is no age limit on atlantics. They simply have to run an appropriate engine and meet all safety requirements and current rules. Normally that means the addition of some sort of forward bracing from the roll cage to the tub structure.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Default 92h Reynard

That car is one of my old cars.I had 4 of them.The car is almost as fast as a Ralt40-41 in the right hands. My cars were developed aero wise to be as good or better than a Ralt in a straight line.The taller fronts made the roll center much happier.I never ran 15 in tires just the tall radials.I loved those cars they were a ton of fun. I finished in the top 10 all the time in the Pro Series and ran as high as 5th over all.The cars do need more attention than a Ralt and there is a small window where the set up is friendly.It is for the money a very competitive package.

Thread Information