Liked: 0

Default Crossle 16F/20F Chassis Measurements Needed

My Crossle 16F rear frame was altered to accomodate a Hewland MK6 with Lotus-style side plates, and I am returning the chassis to the original Hewland MK8 configuration.
    What I need are a number of dimensions on the rear upper chassis tube - it runs transversely from side to side, and incorporates two "bends". I am attaching an engineering drawing in PDF form, with all the needed dimensions lettered (A, B, etc).
    I would greatly appreciate any or all of these numbers.

Thanks, Pete

Liked: 7

Pete check your misc parts that you have received with the car. The part that was removed should be there.
    J-Guy

Bonjour, Jean-Guy! No, unfortunately, that part must have been discarded. Doug had a shop rebuild the frame, replacing a number of tubes, and a very nice job with the rear section. Sadly, they built it for the MK6. Not only will a MK8/9 not fit, but the rear body section (engine cover) will no longer fit.

-Pete

Liked: 7

That's too bad, Jon Hirst (a regular on this forum) should be able to help you.
    J-Guy

Fallen Friend

Default Crossle 16

I'm currently prepping a 16 for CSRG's Charity Challange @ Infineon. I'll get the dim's tomorrw.

Ron Chisholm
    Cypress Lane Racing
    Ron Chisholm
    Cypress Lane Racing

Fallen Friend

Default Crossle 16

Pete, here are the measurements I came up with:

A 21.00 Measured from center of longintudinal frame tubes
    B 8.00
    C 1.25
    D 8.00
    E 18.25
    F 1.00
    G 2.625
    H 1.50 (1/4" stud, for ground cable)

This car has a Mk6. The car was restored by Neil Porter several years ago and apears to be quite original. It pretty much lives at my shop, so if you need any more info let me know.

Ron Chisholm
    Cypress Lane Racing
    Ron Chisholm
    Cypress Lane Racing

Thank you Ron, you're my hero!
    The car you measured has a MK6? It must have MK8 style sideplates? The MK6 I have has Lotus style side plates, reversed. They are farther apart, more forward, and possibly higher than the MK8/9 style. Maybe I can keep the MK6 and convert the sideplates!

-Pete

Fallen Friend

Pete,

The bearing carrier is stamped Mk6, but yes, the side plates look like Mk8 (outboard brakes). I'm pretty sure it has tapered bearings for the carrier. I know it has the earlier VW modified pinon where the hubs spline together. Craig Taylor knows all the variations / options.

Ron Chisholm
    Cypress Lane Racing
    Ron Chisholm
    Cypress Lane Racing

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Looks like you got what you needed Pete.

Regardless, I will take some measurements on my 16F (with a mk 8) when I head to the shop tonight for comparison purposes.

BTW - nice drawing - are you going to keep going and do the entire chassis?
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Hi Jon, thanks!
    Actually, now that I've started I'm seriously considering continuing and doing the entire car, not just the frame! I'm using Solidworks - you create a 3D model, and then easily generate 2D drawings from it. I've actually modelled a few suspension components, and Solidworks allows you to articulate parts in 3D so you can look at travel, interferences etc.
    I'm kind of a novice at Solidworks (I'm not a mechanical engineer, I'm an EE) but it's a lot of fun. If I ever finish the model, I'll make the whole thing available here.

-Pete

Thread Information