Liked: 0

Default Weeping oil between Titan 5 port and the block

Help please?

I've developed a leak at the gasket that mates the Titan to the block. It is right between the Oil return from the block from the Oil filter port and the Pressure out to the Filter port (i.e. the forward side of the pump).

It leaks a few drops when just spinning the motor over with the starter motor and the spark plugs out. The pump has always weeped a a drop of oil on the pressure set screw when ever I have raced it, so I don't know if this weeping is new or just now worse.

However, it leaked enough that I spun in my own oil. The oil tank and oil filter were still full of oil. I cut open the oil filter and it wasn't plug nor was there any metal in it. I cannot image that any of those big external oil lines are plugged. I replaced the rotors in the pump last year but it has been through several races successfully since then.

I don't know if:
    - things get blocked up and these Titans blow gaskets between the pump and the block to relieve it?
    - The bolt (at that location may have been a bit lose) and it let the pressure escape via the gasket?
    - I screwed up installing the gasket
    - etc.

Any ideas please? Thanks... Currie

Liked: 162

Currie: If it's a five-port pump (pressure feed exits from pump, goes thru oil filter, then back into pump), then that gasket interface sees the full oil pressure as the oil transfers through the pump to the engine oil gallery on the right side. On a four port pump, the line from the filter goes to the left side gallery, but still generates pressure at that gasket surface. So, either way, the gasket has to be sealed correctly to avoid leaks. If there were a "blockage", the pressure bypass in the pump would relieve the pressure. I doubt that you have any serious problem here, just remove the pump, clean everything up and install a new gasket. I like to use "The Right Stuff" (Permatex #25223) sealant for gaskets in contact with oil, works better than RTV, available at AutoZone, etc.
    There is a glitch in the continuum...

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Adjustment Screw Seal

On the adjustment screw - use a stat-o-seal washer and you won't have any leaks at your adjustment screw. Pegasus stocks them - give John a call. He probably has the gasket you need too.

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Default I think I know the answer...

Check to make sure the pump is actually snug against the block. I've experienced this exact leak in the past and found that while the bolts tightened up and the pump looked to be properly seated against the block, the screws had bottomed out in the holes and the pump was not flush with the block, thereby leaking oil as it spun over.

If this is yyour problem, carefully inspect the gear on the oil pump, as it isn't meshed completely with the cam. I got lucky and it caused no damage other than no oil pressure while cranking (for start up) and a big oily mess on the floor!!!

I use no sealant.i use the original gasket trimed to fitthe pump holes/block.

Good luck!
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Liked: 0

Default Thanks you folks are super :)

Wow what great info and so quickly...thxs to all !!!

Thread Information