Thread: Tire question

Liked: 0

Default Tire question

On the VARA site, it mentions Vintage FF's running

Front: Dunlop 135/545-13 CR82 9092 Formula Ford
    Rear: Dunlop 165/580-13 CR82 9092 Formula Ford

Curious.....
    What's the tire life, and cost, compared to the American slicks?
    73 Lola T-340 #25
    Monty Python Addict "NEE!"

SouthWest Formula Ford

Default Tires

The Dunlops last nearly twice as long as the American Racers. Also the American racers take much longer to come to temperature, but seem to have more stick once they do. Us Vintage guys have the edge for the first several laps then the slicks guys really get going. Most guys on the Dunlops get at least six or more race weekends on a set. Slow old guys like me can get 8 to 12 raceweekends.
    Murray Chalmers Miss Lola's kept man.

Liked: 123

Default Dunlops

One thing about Dunlop FF tires is that they don't really fall off with wear, possibly because it's really pretty hard to get them hot. I went as fast on really old tires as new - in fact I hated new tires, they felt greasy to me. But in the wet, a different story! Old tires with decent tread depth can be treacherous in the rain! I had great success with new tires in the rain, though.

Brian

Default Tires

Yup, I agree with Brian. While I run my Dunlops through quite a few heat cycles, they are still pretty good at the end. The new ones are slightly better, After scuffing, but it represents only a very few tenths in lap times. The fastest guys tend to change up their tires well before wearout, but only to gain those few tenths.
    Murray Chalmers Miss Lola's kept man.

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm coming from the Goodyear & McCreary (American Racer) tires, and was curious what to expect.
    73 Lola T-340 #25
    Monty Python Addict "NEE!"

SouthWest Formula Ford

Thread Information