Liked: 0

Default seat for vintage formula ford?

Hi Guys, We just came into possession of a seat mold for a vintage formula ford. Do car owners ever have to replace these seats? We really need to know if there might be a market to sell a few. Thanks, Brian
    PS, I might be able to post a pic of a finished seat later next week.

Liked: 11

I've got to believe people would be replacing those seat w/ bead seats....
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Default F/Glass seats

I would echo car nutz. Hopefully there is NO market for these dangerous old seats.
    Like a roll of toilet paper,
    life goes faster as you near the end.

Liked: 8

Default seats

If I were restoring a car to correct standards I would want the seat.

My thought on the subject is the cars are generally running at 1960's configuration. No front rollbars etc...

I don't think many will loose sleep over a less than optimal seat. Rather it is prefered unless you don't fit in it.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Default Seats

I wanted to replace the seating arrangement in my Lotus. After reading the account of Curtis Boggs at Watkins Glen last summer, the only alternative in my mind was a bead seat. You can probably read the comments in the archives under FC General Discussions.

The rules in my club do not dictate seating specifications for open wheel cars, so choice is mine. They have no concern about originality in this area.

My new bead seat is comfortable and offers greater protection that my old one.

You just never know when something unexpected is going to crop up, and remember our cars aren't at the forefront of the safety continuum.

Whatever you choose, make it a safe one.

Rob

What is a bead seat? I just bought a 84 VD RF84 and the seat does not fit me very well.
    1983 Royale RP33M
    2000 BMW M5
    1984 Ferrari 308 GTS QV
    1989 Porsche 944 Turbo S

Liked: 3

Picture a beanbag chair, but with a much more flexible outer bag. You pour an epoxy mixture into the bag, sit on it in the car, and vacuum out the air from the bag. Let it sit overnight, and the next morning you'll have a fitted seat insert that resembles the rigid inner liner in your helmet. Form fitting, and it gives some small measure of impact protection. (The fact that it fits you perfectly probably does more to protect you than the construction does.)

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...oupID=INDYSEAT

This is one brand of beaded seat kits. I haven't tried other brands, but the Indy-Seats are very easy to use, very complete kits with detailed instructions.

It only took about an hour from the time we started reading the instructions until the time we left it to cure overnight.

Back to the bucket subject: since most chassis manufacturers designed their own seat shells, you wouldn't be able to market it as a universal seat. If you could figure out a few sizes and styles that would fit 90% of the cars out there, you would sell some. We get requests all the time.

Liked: 157

Some of the Fiberglass seats are incredibly dangerous at any speed. Look at some of them and imagine the car hitting backwards against a solid object. You will get your spine severed. No solid objects where you race? BS. There are pit walls and possibly other cars (that just spun in the same oil as you) to consider. don't get fooled that your track has runnoff at most corners and you won't get into a shunt.

GO with the BEAD SEAT.

steve

Thread Information