Liked: 157

Default Starter Motor that will mesh with 130 tooth ring gear

Anyone have a lead on how to solve this problem? The engine is already in the car and the Lucas will not work with the 130 tooth ring gear. BAT tells me that there was some oddball Bosch starter that worked but had issues of fitting in many FF's so 110 teeth became standard. The motivation here is to avoid and engine pull and ring gear swap.

Car is an RP16. Cortina engine and flywheel

Thanks

steve.roux@charter.net

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Steve, just make a few new friends and tell them that ALL race cars only start by pushing, just like round track midgets and sprinters............

Liked: 10

I don't have time to check right now but my 85 VD may have a 130 tooth ring gear and I think the starter gear is a 9 tooth. If I recall correctly Dave Bean has info on this stuff in his catalog so a call to Bean might help.

Edit to correct/add: Checked an old Bean catalog. It says the 132 tooth ring gear requires an 11 tooth starter gear.

Dick

Liked: 1

Default Ring Gear and Drive Information

You might also check with Craig Taylor. He may be able to help.

Liked: 123

Default Pinion size and teeth

I've been caught recently by the old fine tooth ring gear problem, and since I often make my own starter motors this one cost me a new motor. So the question is, how many pinions are there? I got a nice Taylor catalog in the mail today (thank you very much, btw) and it seemed to have two pinion choices. These were 9 tooth fine pitch and 9 tooth coarse pitch. I've measured these and they seem to have standard starter motor catalog pitches of 25 mm for fine and 29mm for coarse.

What I've done for starter motors, for better or for worse, is try to use standard motors that I can put an adaptor on. Being up here in Canada, I get a lot of value from running down to the street to the local NAPA store to pick up a motor. I can also run down to the local circle track store and pick up a Port City Hitachi starter that's made for a Chev V-8 of some sort. It has the fine pitch 9 tooth pinion, is brand new and costs $169 CDN. I whap out an adaptor in an hour and there I go.

I'd love to know if these pinions are the only ones I have to worry about!

Brian

Liked: 3787

A few years ago I wrote a long bit about ring gears and starter pinions. It had to do with 84 and 88 Reynards (but applys to many applications). I ended up doing way too much research to get it right.

I don't have a copy in the office. And I'm not sure how to search the Apexspeed archives back to 2002. I'll try to look for a copy in the shop this weekend.

Bottomline: The rings have different tooth numbers and OBTW are different outside diameters. The pinions come in differnt tooth numbers AND different diameters. Fun, fun. But there is a right answer.

Thread Information