Thread: Caldwell D9

Liked: 0

Default Caldwell D9

Does anyone know of a source for a rear lower "clevis bolt" (the long bolt w/clevis on the end that goes throught the lower portion of the rear upright)?

Not sure you'll find it but, Wicks and Spruce both have a good selection of various clevis hardware configurations. Here are their links.
    [size=2]www.aircraft-spruce.com [/size]
    [size=2]www.wicksaircraft.com[/size]
    [size=2][/size]
    Gary Payne
    St Louis

Default re:CaldwellD9

Wayne Mitchell just made me two new lower clevis rods. Much better than the ones from Pegasus. I also obtained the patterns for the rear uprights from Dave Dexter and Wayne is getting some castings made. Wayne can make just about anything for vintage formula cars.
    if you can not find out how to contact hin. you can contact me at jdross99@earthlink.net or (714) 965-1652. Will be leaving for a race in Nevada tomorow, back Monday.

Keep the Caldwells on the track.
    Jim
    p.s. We won the VARA FF champenship last year over a klock of Titans and some of the best drivers in the US. Trying for a repeat this year.

Default Clevis Supply

I think if you check your Merlyn pals, they will have the exact same unit and there are lots of suppliers of Merlyn bits/
    Like a roll of toilet paper,
    life goes faster as you near the end.

I did Not try Merlyn parts becaust I know that the rear uprights are different. The clevis rods may be the same though. Check carefully before you buy.

Another thing. If the rods show any loseness at all, have the uprights rebushed. Loose rods can cause a failure in a nasty place.

Default D 9 Clevis Rod

Thanks for the information. Over about a 10 year period I've bent/broke about 4 of these. My previous fix was to drill out the old bolt that was threaded into the clevis and make a new bolt section from drill rod, thread it in then tig the end to the clevis. The problem has always been that the clevises are made from some kind of super hard/tough steel. I end up going thru 3 or 4 drill bits and 2 or more taps just to restore the clevis.
    I would never use the "cast" clevises available as they can be no where close to the stength of the originals.

Dan

Liked: 8

Default Clevis

The merlyn clevis was a furnace brazed part. It was about a foot long? It was stepped on the end to accept the smaller rod end for the sway bar links. Around 3 years ago it was $125. Now it must be $175.

My lola simply is an AN bolt with brazed on clevis'. But they are smaller bolts.

You must also be able to buy something made up from an aircraft.

Thread Information