Liked: 0

Default Vintage FF Engine Life Expectancy

heh, this is a good question, I think...

how long do most of your engines last... measured in weekends, and how far do you wrap them... does shorting yourself a few RPM help extend their useful lives???
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Go slower,live longer?

If you talk to a good engine builder they can build you an engine that will live longer. If you are not after that killer National winning last bit of horsepower. And yes limiting RPM does help. With a refresh of the head and NOT overreving the darn thing you can get a longer life from an engine built with that in mind. Just don't expect dino busting performance. Getting that last 5 HP makes a big difference.

Liked: 123

Default engine life expectancy

The thing with engine life is how long you make the HP that you want to have. The main reason that big HP engines don't last long isn't that they are worn out, it's that the fine edge has come off the HP output.

These things don't benefit from over-revving, so you won't really give up much by not over-revving it. In vintage you can't use the new lighter flywheel or the aluminium head, so you don't gain the advantages in longevity that they give. The main things that wear out in the engine are piston skirts, ring lands, rings themselves, valve springs, valve seats, cylinder bores, timing chains, camshafts and lifters. Plus the crankshaft cracking, of course. Running Mobile One oil and keeping the oil pressure set at about 60 PSI hot (robs power but we're not concerned with that are we?) helps a lot.

If you're not concerned with keeping the edge on the powerand you shift at 6500 rpm or less, then you could probably do a refresh every two years/30 - 50 hours. Or when it starts burning oil noticably or when you can't keep up with that pesky Formula Vee in your run group. Or when the crank breaks.

I know one guy who had 15 years on his motor. Rebuilt it when he couldn't keep the FVee's in sight anymore...

Brian

thanks for the info guys, that's what I was looking for. me driving the crap out of a hot motor is not going to help at all for at least a few years, so short-shifting is looking more and more like a good idea, and I'll have to look at re-build costs for a "longevity motor" and then just expect whatever I buy will need one in a year or so.

thanks for the great info...
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

btw, you said "30-50 hours"

the way I figure a weekend is 6-8 hours, am I close on that one???

Liked: 4

Default Weekend...

I'd say figure about 4 hours for a two day weekend. The clubs I run with offer 1.5 to 2 HRs per day. Most I've ever put on may car was 3 hrs during and SCCA School. I think thier race events are considerably shorter.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

I agree with racer27, a Monoposto race weekend may be closer to 2.5 to 3 hours.

Very broadly speaking:
    Saturday - 30 min practice, 30 minute qualifying, 30 minute race
    repeat on Sunday.

If it is a 3 day race weekend then the times are spread out over the three days.

It is is a 2 day race weekend, you might include a Friday practice so add another 2 - 3 hours, again, very generously estimating 6 x 30 minute sessions.

jon
    Last edited by Jonathan Hirst; 01.24.05 at 4:32 PM.
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

BRIC= 2x practice thursday, 2x practice friday, 1x practice saturday, qualify, sunday warm-up, race.

but I think that is the ONLY 4-day on the calendar. the rest are 2s and 3s.

Contributing Member

Default Remember the Crank...

The biggest issue with running these engines too long is the old cast crankshaft. If it breaks, things get real expensive real fast. Most everything else is performance related, and being a new driver, that won't be the difference for quite a while. I ran my engine for 3 full seasons, and that was a little too long. The engine builder just found a cracked crank in the usual place and a crack in the block between a main bearing and a oil gallery. I probably had 3 or 4 sessions left before it would have come apart. The new crank eliminates this problem and you can run it without worrying about it breaking, assuming you're not having flywheel to ground strikes!! Even if you don't rebuild the engine, the old cranks really need to be checked for the inevitable cracks every season. By the way, the new forged pistons have been approved, and Mr. Ivey says this may double the time between rebuilds.

would Ivey be able to supply any sort of price list for a rebuild with a new crank and forged pistons?

Contributing Member

Yep...give him a call..

503-255-1123

putting that in the file......

Thread Information