Thread: Titan mk6c?

Global Moderator Dave Woodmancy's Avatar
    Liked: 69

Default Titan mk6c?

Question for the vintage guys, while reading the rules for monoposto, eligability for Titans include mk6a's and mk6b's per cars produced up to 73'. Then the Formula 70 rules show only Titan's mk8/mk9 are eligable. Is this just an ommision that the 1973 built mk6c's are not listed?

Thanks.

Liked: 0

Default Titan Mark 6C

The only differnce between a Titan Mark 6 A, B, or C is the nose. A 6C nose is flatter. It is not legal in Monoposto Classic. Any 6C can be turned into a 6A or 6B by changing the nose. The nose is the same on the A and B except the B nose is detachable from the cockpit bodywork. A 6A nose is one piece with the cockpit. In my mind, one would not want to run a 6C in FF70 were it is less competitive. Turn it into a 6B and run it in Classic where it is the car to have. There is no question about the legality of changing the nose. There was a thread about this a while ago.
    Craig Jones

Default Continuation Cars

Craig,

I am not aware that Monoposto has changed it's position on "Continuation Cars" (ie. cars where production of a given model began prior to Jan 1, 1973 and continued after that date without significant changes.)

I didn't notice when the new rules were being put together that the 1973 Mk6C is not listed as an eligible Club Ford. If so, that would appear to be an oversight. I'll have to bring that to Dan's attention.

Everyone agrees that once you put a 6B nose on, there's absolutely no material difference between a 6B and a 6C, but Monoposto draws the line at the end of '72. Same goes for all the Elden Mk 10's made in '73. Identical to those made in '72, but not eligible for Monoposto points competition, though I have never seen a '73 car turned away and not allowed to just participate in an event as long as it passes tech.

DC

Default The Real World

You can wring your hands about this if you want, but in the real world, I've never seen or heard of a Titan Mk 6 with an A or B nose challenged as being ineligible for full (i.e. points-earning) Monoposto Classic competition because at one time it had a C nose on it. It is my recollection that the serial numbers on the Titan Mk 6's don't distinguish between A, B, or C or even the year of manufacture. To me, a Mk 6 is a Mk 6 -- and its an A, B, or C depending on which nose it has on it at any given point in time.
    Craig Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Jones
    It is my recollection that the serial numbers on the Titan Mk 6's don't distinguish between A, B, or C or even the year of manufacture. To me, a Mk 6 is a Mk 6 -- and its an A, B, or C depending on which nose it has on it at any given point in time.
    OK, so this thread is months old, but I figured I would pipe in anyway.

Titan chassis numbers are of the form YY[M]MNN, where YY is the year, [M]M is a one or two digit Mk number, and NN is the serialized bit. Titan frame numbers are AM YY/NN where YY is the year and NN is the serialized bit.

My Mk6 chassis is 70623, 1970 Mk6 chassis #23. The frame on the car is AM 70/48.

So, why can't one distinguish between a 1972 Titan Mk6 and a 1973 one?

alan

Thread Information