Liked: 553

Hello. I don't have a FF1600, but thought this forum might be a good place to learn about these organizations. I have a 1983 Ralt RT-5 FSV and live within an hour of Road Atlanta. I don't know if my car is eligible to run in those organizations. I'd like to hear some comments about them. Currently I race in SCCA, mostly regional races (have had a nat'l license since '84). I enjoy it, but the vintage/historic weekends are appealing. Are those three groups completely distinct? Or do they occasionally share events? Will one or two of them be more likely to allow me to race my car? If so, would it be in a big, catch-all class? (That doesn't appeal to me. I'd like to be on the track with Formula Atlantics and similar cars).

TIA.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 597

go to the HSRrace.com website, and find under results, the opens wheel group(s). that will give you an idea what would be out there with you. HSR would welcome your FSV

Liked: 141

Russ

From what I've seen (on forums and your website) you would be more than welcome at SVRA events and maybe others. The "Atlantic" group is basically Formula 70 as defined by Monoposto Racing (a separate group who run at other race organizers' events - such as SVRA, HSR, VSCDA, VARAC, BRIC, etc. Formula 70 is defines as flat bottom cars thru 1979 - however SVRA, HSR and BRIC also allow later model cars such as RT2/RT4/RT5 in a separate class. The point is you would be running with similar cars in a friendly group, where agressive driving is frowned, and at som at great tracks.

Formula 70 includes F5000 (very few these days), F2 (1.6 and 2L), Atlantic BDD 1600 and Supervee (1600). FF70 (think ClubFord) was added this year and so far has run with F70 because they are on slicks. The other vintage single seater group is Formula Classic - older cars on treaded tires (often grooved slicks) - pre-70 F2/FB (1600 TwinCam or FVA), pre-72 FFs and a few F.Junior.

Even with your more modern car you'd be hard pressed to beat Bobby Brown (March 79B), Bobby Rahal (Lola 360) and several other young and old hot-shoes (typically in Ralt RT1s and March 78,79Bs) - but you'd have no trouble beating also rans like me (Lola 460). Pre-80 SuperVees were popular couple of years ago but seem to have dropped off a bit.

Give it a try. I've listed the schedule below and some websites. Don't know if you want to travel or just go locally - I plan to be at Savannah in April, at VIR and Atlanta in October and several northern events. Be glad to meet up with you and introduce you to people.

Apr 3 HSR Barber
    Apr 10 SVRA Savannah
    May 15 SVRA Elkhart Lake
    May 22 Redman Summit Point
    Jun 26 VARAC Mosport
    Jul 10 Le Sommet, Mt Tremblant
    Jul 17 BRIC Elkhart Lake
    Aug 14 Beaver Run
    Sep 11 SVRA Watkins Glen
    Sep 18 VSCDA Elkhart Lake
    Oct 2 SVRA VIR
    Oct 23 SVRA Road Atlanta

www.monoposto.com
    www.svra.com
    www.hsrrace.com
    www.gorace.com
    www.vscda.org
    www.varac.ca

Derek Harling

Most events are three day -
    Friday - 2 practice sessions
    Saturday - 1 qualifying session, 1 "qualifying race"
    Sunday - warmup and feature race.

You would be on track only with formula cars unless you choose to try and enduro (1 or 2 hours). Occasionally sports racers and formula cars combine a practice session if entry is low.

Monoposto does not organize their own races. They score their championship while running at other events. They do have great (civilised) parties!

Liked: 1

Default differences

Russ, As a realative newcomer to vintage FF, I have found the SVRA to have well run events with a variety of cars. Their events are at great venues and the competition is sprited without being over the top. The monoposto group was very welcoming and the competitors are always forthcoming with help and advise. As previously stated they run at other clubs events. The new club VRG (Vintage Racers Group) also holds great events, although mostly in the northeast with lots of open wheel cars. The vintage groups almost always welcome other clubs credentials and cars. I guess it boils down to what events (venues) you would like to compete at and what you would like to watch between sessions.

Liked: 0

Great info guys... and I've been to BRIC several times, and the Monoposto and F70 "classes" (basically all the open wheel cars) tend to have great participation AND competition, without being quite as "on edge" as group 6 (the "off" kings).

I'm trying to pick up an formula B car in the next year or so and can't wait to get down to brass tax and enjoy the snot out of the car...
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Liked: 115

Default Vintage Racing

Mr. Churchill:

Why not come to Kershaw the last week of February & check out the goings-on of a VDCA race weekend. They are a very accomodating bunch. SVRA has a date in Marh at Barber - not far from you. SVRA in early April at Savannah is always great. And VDCA has a mid-April date at VIR as well. I'm an old retired FF racer from the late '70's now doing vintage racing in a Swift DB2 S2000. We have a really fast growing group. At VIR in October we started over 30 cars and had our very own race!! First time S2 has had it's own race outside the Runoffs since dirt was invented. Well, actually we had our own at VIR in '03 as well, but we have really grown. S2 is a great way to go vintage racing and our organization can help hook you up with a car, if you care to take the plunge. You can even rent one first - see if you like it.

Go to www.NAC-SRCC.com and check out the roster, schedule, and 2004 results. You might be surprised.

John Gaither
    Re-born with some fenders

Default Mitty '05?

Anyone here planning to run at Road Atlanta in the HSR event Apr 28 - May 1?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

Default old vintage racers

Russ McBride -- Are you the same McBride that used to race at Lime Rock in the mid to late 80s and worked for or was sponsored by a radio station? I had the S2000s running in 86 & 87. I see from the threads here that what I was running might now be considered vintage?? I know I am old but had not yet considered myself Vintage! I used to sponsor the Driver of the Year Award for the Original SVRA and went to many of their events from 83-85 I am pleased to see they are allowing Ralts. I always liked the RT5 even more than the RT4. Drop me a note and tell me if you are the person I'm thinking of.
    Ed Capullo (Captain Eddie)

Default Yes ...

Hi, Ed. I thought your name sounded familiar. Yep, same guy, except for the radio station part. There was another racer at the time who was a well known regional DJ (FF - "Docter" somebody? Something about the "Mayor of Fogarea"?) . He was a good looking guy, so I can see how you would get us confused. (<-- bad joke)

I miss LRP and often consider making the trek up from Atlanta to race there again some time. Even better would be if I could find back to back races there and at the Glen to get both tracks into the same trip. And while I'm at it, I'd like for them to resurrect Bridgehampton so I can race there again, too.

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well with you and your racing.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Vintage Races

Russ - Lime Rock has it's Fall Vintage Festival usually over Labor Day Weekend now. I'm not certain who the sanctioning group is. It used to be the VSCCA and Charlie Gibson of Sasco Motor Sports used to be in charge. I believe Sasco moved to your area and I'm not certain that Charlie Gibson is still with us. Now if any other Vintage organization was to have an event at The Glen the weekend before or the weekend after you could make a two stopper. When I was looking into the VSCCA years ago they limited cars to 1962 and earlier but I do not know what they do now and if they are not the sanctioning body for the race at Lime Rock then perhaps the new group allows more modern open wheel cars. If you would like me to check this out for you I would be happy to.
    Captain Eddie

Default Thanks, Ed.

Actually, I still have not run any kind of vintage/historic event yet, only SCCA Club Racing. I'm sure I will some day - the events are very appealing, but thus far, there are plenty of great SCCA events to suck away my money and time, and I enjoy the camaraderie of SCCA people I've met. It's just a matter of time, though.

Therefore, my LRP/Glen fantasy trip is not limited any certain type of event. I'd consider events run by most any organization. Highest on the list would be those that compensate for mileage :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Lime Rock/Glen Double Header

Lime Rock is Labor Day - SVRA at the Glen is the weekend after - much bigger event. Your RT5, Russ, would be welcome at SVRA - see my post to you around Christmas time - not sure about Lime Rock which is now run by Seve Earle and his General Racing (same as Monterey).

Sasco is now in Danville VA - sort of near Atlanta if you're in New England! Charlie alas is no longer with us but his friend/partner Dave Handy runs the business with the same aplomb, courtesy, good service etc as previously. He is not associated with the Lime Rock event though.

Default Vintage Racing - Sasco etal

Derek - thank you for your input. I knew Charlie for many years. He was always trying to get me to give up regular SCCA racing and go to vintage racing. He was a heck of a nice guy as is Dave Handy. I didn't know where the Sasco Motorsports had moved to I only knew they were not at the old shop a few blocks from where I used to work. As a pilot I am well aware that Danville Virgina and Atlanta Georgia are a good fuel burn apart. I just didn't know they were in Danville the old confederate railroad town (what a strange place to locate) I would have thought they would have been somewhere near Road Atlanta in Gainesville or near Mike Gue's Essex Racing
    (another Connecticut refugee) Incidently I used to run a Lola 492 in 1985 then a Lola 596 in 1986 then I bought Trueman's RedRoof Inn Lola 86-90 and ran it in 1987. would any of these be eligible for Vintage S2000 at any of the organizations?
    Captain Eddie

Default Vintage S2000

Eddie - go to http://p081.ezboard.com/fs2racingfrm10 - all you ever wanted to know about vintage S2000 - great group of guys always helping each other and being friendly at every event. 'Tigaman' Peter Krause among others will steer you right. They race at most vintage events.

Do you still have Jim Trueman's S2000?

Yes Charlie was and Dave is great guy[s]. And both great drivers to boot. Danville may seem a strange place at first glance but when I mention that they are right at VIR it makes a lot more sense. Derek

Default Vintage S2000

Derek-- thanks for the tip on the website. Unfortunately each of the Lolas I raced were sold at the end of that particular season and I don't know who has the 86-90 now. I do wish I had the old 492 back. I was going to go CSR with it back then in 85 but the class wasn't that well subscribed in the Northeast at that time. Now look--you have "factory" built CSRs & DSRs
    I would have loved to put a rice burner in that car just to see what it would have done. I was even looking at the CSR rules applicable to turbo as I had a line on a twin turbo Kawasaki and believed that I could give up the CCs and still make more HP with less weight than the FA transplants that were running CSR at the time. oh well.......
    Captain Eddie

Thread Information