Liked: 79

Hello, getting back into FF after being out for many years. Can anyone tell me what the "newest" year of Club Ford that can be used for Vintage racing at Florida tracks? Don't know yet if going pure Vintage, Club Ford, or just plain old FF.

Since I have children now, I am concrened with safety. I hear that in Vintage there is less chance of a crash due to most drivers just out having fun. However, since the cars do not offer the protection as newer ones, safety seems to be a trade off.

Any comments welcome.

Liked: 597

remember.....like eye know anything.....but if i do...the SCCA vintage grids would have FF as '72 or older and on treaded tires...... and of course there is always the formula car "wings and things" regular SCCA grid for any year FF and on any tire you care to run but CF will ask for the Hoosier R60 tire [doubt anyone will protest if you're on a different tire though, hasn't happened yet - most of us would just be glad to have you out and running]......... there are some HSR events in the early and late part of the year - don't worry about serious specifics of age > they just like cars/drivers - the level of prep and year will simply determine your class......what SVRA would do independent of HSR i don't know......what other private clubs you could run with [targa 66?] i have no idea but they might be out there.....i doubt you would get an open wheel car out on track on the same weekend as any BWM/Porsche/Viper/etc. car club track rental event, it can't hurt to ask but i can't tell you who to ask

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Bob,

CF is a regional class. Therefore, each region may have different rules on what can/can't run. Many regions have spec tires, while others have no restrictions on tires. The same goes for the year or design requirements (although most require that at least one end have outboard suspension). The same problem holds true with the various vintage sanctioning organizations. Each org may have slightly different requirements. Your best bet is to contact the regions of SCCA where you would expect to run and request their CF rules, and to do the same with the vintage organizations.

Good luck!
    Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 0

Many vintage groups go by Monoposto rules. Check Monoposto.com.
    pre 73 on treaded spec Dunlaps
    73-81 club Ford on slick of your choice

Vintage clubs do not require forward roll hoop as SCCA. Club Fords will already have it.

I am a Grid Marshall with SCCA in the Central Florida Region (Sebring and Daytona). Let me tell you the vintage run group at our regional events is comprised of ALL vitage eligible entries! That means vintage FF's and formula vees are running on the track with Corvettes,Mustangs, Triumphs,Sprites , MG's and any other sports racer/formula car that shows up! I have not seen a vintage FF since moving into the region in two years ago. Would love to see a bunch of them show up.

Liked: 11

Wow.

Having a Vee (or really any open wheel) on the track w/ a Vette or Mustang is NOT safe!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

I flagged the national race at Summit Point this spring (aka the Ice Bowl). The historic group seemed to be a catch-all for any historic car. There were no formula cars; I don't know if this was by rule or simply because none turned up.

For my part, after getting punted by a SRF during the pre-MARRS 9 practice day last month, I wouldn't get on track with anything except other formula cars.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 79

Thanks for all that replied. From the research I have done so far, I wish there were some races in Florida that would include Monoposto FF70 class.

So, I am still in limbo. Really don't like the idea of some Vintage races having Formula cars out with fendered cars.

Liked: 597

earlier this year at Sebring, in the vintage grid, a just beautiful red Lola vintage FF was there, chromed frame and all - clean enough to eat off of - immaculate motor - treaded dunlops.....i know he crashed, i think he crashed in a practice session, came in in the hook, so that's why he's not listed in results pages from CFR ---- but he was not punted by some drafting mustang that was outbraked by the FF. the vintage grid indeed includes things from FVs to big bores [cars, that is! - couldn't resist] and i've never seen any contact in many years. i drove my MGBGT [with the racing seat, net and roll cage can you say blind spot city?] in that grid and saw the FVs just fine - you'll out qualify many of the cars that could possibly worry you and then see them not in your mirrors but in your visor after the field has strung out so passing is easy. the FV's have one of those five foot tall antenae yellow flag things so they make their presence known, even at the start if other drivers will just use their wits and mirrors - nothing to win but a lot to lose.

Bob, check out Monoposto events. It's all open wheel racing, NO running with closed wheel cars. New class they have is FF70 which is for Club Fords 78 to 82 or 83. You run with F/Atl cars, but we're trying to get'm to let us run with F/B, FF vintage. Contact Dan Shumette @ Monoposto for list of eligible cars. They also have a new schedule for next year. bull durham 32f

Thread Information