Liked: 2

Default Mark9 - Gearbox Assembly

Hello everyone.....

1st off let me wish everyone a happy holiday season and I look forward to a great 2005 racing season.

Now onto my ?....My friend and I are assembling a Mark9 gearbox for a Royale RP16 formula ford w/ CV joints. Currently the gear box is apart due to a crown replacement (previous owner statement) and I have a couple of generic questions I would like to run by the forum.

(1) Can I assume that I should have the drive shafts magnaflux before assembly?

(2) Are there any major GOTCHAs to look for when putting the crown back into the case (I assume that this should be plug n play with the usual double checks - per the Hewland Manual)? I have all the original bearing spacers and shims from the tear down all marked appropriately.

Thank you ahead of time for your response.
    --- Christopher Shoemaker
    1984 Royale RP36 (FF)

Liked: 123

Chris, if you are just taking the crown gear out and putting it back it again, you might get away with just replacing the shims as they came out, but if you are replacing the CW and pinion, you really need to have the jigs and set-up bearings to set it up properly. Not a job that I will do on my own, and I am very stubborn about doing everything possible myself...

Brian

Liked: 3

Checking stubs is not really necessary. They very, very seldom show any damages. You'd have broken something else.

As stated however if you are doing the R&P you really need the jigs. Also you're going to need a new pinion bearing as well as diff support bearings at the least. And some proper dummy bearings to do this with- not the old ones sanded down.

Put in a new front seal, perhaps a 'snout bearing' for the layshaft and of course check the end float and fork spacing when done.

Thread Information