Liked: 3

OK, here goes. First of all, my buddy (he is the owner, chassis #103) and I brought home this very original Lotus 51a. We plan to take lots of photos and take the car completly apart. First would ge to strip the chassis and check it for damage/cracks. One list member recommended to take the chassis to Burt Curtis and have him do the C model updates and move the pick up point for rear suspension top control arm. The one he have is older version with the top arm lower on the chassis and connects to the rear upright only mid way. Also recommended that we take the fluids out of the chassis tubes. Run seperate tubes for water and oil. So, what do you guys think so far????

Mike

By making upgrades to the car, ie "c" specs, which is some bracing around the cockpit, does that in any way devalue the car? And the car does has a Hewland with right side shift. I think that moving the fluids to their own tubes is a solid and safer way to go. Roll over seems to be updated, probably 6 inchs above both our heads. If I remember correctly, the oil tank is in the nose of the car.....

Mike

More info, the car has not run for about 7 years in any kind of an event. I am sure of the belts and I wanted to add a fuel cell and detachable steering wheel. My old fat body doesnt bend like it used too

ms

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

With great regret, I just sold a beautiful Lotus 51C. First, get the fluids out of the tubes! Running water through them causes them to rust from the inside out, creating an opportunity for a most impressive chassis failure!

Second, the high roll hoop is another safety issue. First focus on safety, then work on the speed/handling. Get the cell, too...and get belts, but not before your ready to put the car on track. No use letting them sit on a shelf and age.

As far as changing the suspension pickup points, my Lotus had an upper lateral link and radius rod, and not an arm. Lateral links are inexpensive. (FYI, the front lower wishbones are about as complex as any part I have ever seen on a formula car.)

My car had the Hewland Mk 8 with Lotus side plates and gearbox adapter which is a far superior arrangement than the Renault gearbox.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 162

Mike: I'm not very familiar with Lotus 51's; LFFR's 'Cortina Creature' is off showing horses in Texas, and he should have some real Lotus info for you when he gets back. My guess is that you will have to choose whether you want to be "competitive" or "original"; the fast 51's that I've seen have had their share of updates. My philosophy is that you should make the car handle (i.e., increase adjustability, reduce bump steer, etc.), but that's a personal thing. The fast 51's have the Renault gearbox box changed to a Hewland, converted to right-side shift lever, and lots of re-design of the suspension pieces. All this takes time and money.

I assume that you intend to run vintage, which allows cooling fluid in the frame tubes (SCCA requires coolant outside the cockpit). I agree that you want to get the fluids out of the frame tubes, although a lot of vintage cars still do it that way. While you are at it, I'd recommend that you abandon the front oil reservoir in lieu of a rear-mounted tank--avoids oiling problems and eliminates a bunch of hoses running through the cockpit. A possible issue is the original rollbar--it may have to go, although you may be able to replicate the original shape, which gives the car a distinctive look. You need a minimum of 2" above the helmet, a rear brace and enough lateral bracing to ensure the thing stays attached in a roll-over. You haven't said if the car has seen recent use, but it may need new belts, approved fuel cell, etc.

Lots of questions, but there's a lot of experience available here.
    There is a glitch in the continuum...

Thread Information