Liked: 0

Can anyone recommend someone to do some frame work/restoration on an early lotus 51. I would prefer someone familiar with what is "correct" for the car. I need the roll hoop updated and some minor repairs. I am willing to ship the bare frame wherever. Thanks for the help.

There is a guy in northern calif. that fabricates new frames and his wife builds bodies. the work is first rate, I have a new frame and body waiting for me to get around to it hanging in the overhead. I'll see if I can find his name and adress tomorrow. Chet Carter #29 SF SF region.

If that contact doesn't work out, contact Ron Chuck (650) 367-7498located in Redwood City, CA. In addition to the extensive work he does on FV engines, etc., I have seen some of the vintage FF work he has done. Absolutely superb. Does frames from scratch. "Takes his time" but very cost effective.

Liked: 7

The Lotus FF Register lists the following two people as sources for Lotus 51 bodywork:

John NcKnight
    3516 Merrimac Avenue
    San Diego, CA 92117
    (619) 274-4265

Randy Wilson
    170 San Leandro Place
    Santa Barbara, CA 93108
    (805) 565-1139 (home)
    (805) 344-1022 (work)

Perhaps one of them is the guy mentioned who also does frame work?

Daniel Thompson

Liked: 7

You could also try Bruce Miller of BRM Motorsports in Amityville, NY. I spoke to him recently and he mentioned they had now done a total of seven Lotus 51 restorations, including his own car.

web site is

http://www.brmmotorsports.com/main.html

The folks in N. Calif are Fay and Burt Curtis..PH 707 443 8523.....Excellent, expert work on all things Lotus....

thanx Jerry, that's the guy I was trying to remember. I also concur that the workmanship is excellent. Chet Carter, still swinging from the vines in the Napa Valley.

Thanks very much for the info people, I will make some calls next week.

Thread Information