Liked: 0

does anyone remember any Nike Formula Fords run in the States? I bought my restoration job from Bill Dolson Racing about 4 years ago, it had been in the States (in fact, Michigan) since it was new. I have absolutely NO race history to it. The
    club number stamped into the rollover hoop is 10-284, which, I'm told, makes it a Michigan number. Anyone??

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

There's a VARA member that runs a Nike. I believe he lives on the coast, santa Barbara or Ventura or something like that. If I recall, he's also a guy that makes formula car lifts. Maybe one of the other VARA guys can provide more data.

Years ago the SCCA re-numbered all the regions. I too tried to trace the ownership of my car, and tried the SCCA main office and the historian. I got no help whatsoever. The club didn't maintain a cross-reference of old-to-new numbers. Your best hope is an old-timer that was a region 10 member in the early 60's and remembers where it was.

As late as 1975 The Detroit Region of the SCCA had the designation 10-xxx. I believe they still do. My dad has a FF with the number 10-453 from the Detroit region on the hoop and the log book. Hope this helps.

Yes, that fits EXACTLY with the number on my car (10-284). It was sold new to Bob Smith Racing in Michuigan in November 1969. I don't have any more info on it at all.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Keith Averill of "stuff" and Tony LaMarca had a race shop in Detroit area. I don't recall a Bob Smith racing though. Chances are the car started out at Waterford Hills. Ed Macklenburg of Detroit region/SCCA can probably locate the magic master book that was used to register log books/roll bar #'s in the Detroit region. Most of the cars in 69-71 were Lola's out of Haas or Titans out of Opert. There were a bunch of Caldwell D-9' out of Bud Clark Motors in Dearborn but few Nike's.

Believe it or not, Tony La Marca is the only contact I have. He bought the car new. Kept it for 2-3 years then passed it on. I made contact with him in about 1999, sent him a few pics of the car now and have not heard back from him since!!!

Hi Frank, thanks indeed for the info! How on Earth do I get in contact with Ed Macklenburg??
    Please feel free to e-mail me at home on gary@yesterdaysracers.com

Thread Information