Liked: 0

I remember a while back someone mentioned a company or a process to repair a fuel cell. I believe my fuel cell in my citation is leaking and it must be near the top because it only happens after I drive the car.

The fuel cell is a soft vinyl type material.

What should I do?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

Liked: 447

Chris, I have issue with fixing fuel cells. If it has a hole in it one place, when will it get another. Buy a new one. If you get a leak and it happens during a race, it can cause problems. Depending on what type of fuel you run, it can cause burns to your skin, if you sit in it long enough...some UGLY burns.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

I agree with Joe. My safety is worth the expense of a new cell. I also think that the manufactuer of your cell can check it out to determine that it's a hole in the cell body and not something simple (like the gasket to the filler neck).
    Brad

Thanks guys and yes I agree that you shouldn't mess around with fuel.

Fuel Safe quoted me $632 for a new cell... yikes!

I have to determine if it's a whole or a gasket. I will just sit it on each side and try to determine where the leak is coming from.

-Chris
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

Check with ATL. I found them to be a bit better on price.
    [url="http://www.atlinc.com/index.html"]http://www.atlinc.com/index.html[/url]

Good Luck,
    Chris

Liked: 1

Check with Fuelsafe. They have a patch kit. It worked for me for two seasons, until I sold the car. Eventually you will have to replace the cell. Of course, eventually you will have to replace everything.

Smallville

A while ago I added an entry describing how to re-foam a cell using parts from Fuel-Safe. Since the cell was not leaking, IMHO it was ok to do it. I have run a couple of events with no problems. I am willing to re-enter the process if you want. let me know.

rick

Craig Taylor

I have used the following company for a FF fuel cell re-foam and would recommend them highly. Aircraft Certified, reasonable price, and quick turnaround. J&J recommended them to me.

Hartwig Aircraft
    26 South 4th Avenue
    Hallock, Minnesota 56728
    1-800-843-8033

Well I'm trying to determine where the leak is at... I think it may be around the outlet seal. I'm tipping the cell on each side and nothing is really leaking. I have to put some weight on it and try that. Since when I sit in my car the weight of my upper body does press against the cell which could be opening a hole.

Chris
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

I had a leak around the outlet plate on my Fuelsafe cell. It was the cork type gasket. I called Fuelsafe, and they sent me, free, a couple of neoprene type gaskets that worked far better.

Brian

Chris, I've seen the pics of your rebuild,great job! When you think about it, $600 for a fuel cell that could save you from serious injury is inexpensive. You mentionted that the wieght of your upper body is compressing the cell! There should be a .060 aluminum cover over your entire cell including the the area between your back and the cell. This is one of the reasons for this regulation,it's in the GCR. You should not be compressing the cell with your body wieght. There also is a vent that is required to be shut off by a tip over check valve. I don't mean to lecture, I just have concerns for your safety.

Rich

Chris - there are a couple of other threads on the FFu about this topic but here's the no kiddin fool-proof way to find your leak.

Take cell out, and drain. Scrub the livin bejesus out of the outside with paint thinner and then water and a good soluable degreaser - you want to get all the dirt off that might be masking pinhole leaks.

Rub a heavy coat of talcum powder on all the surfaces.

Put the cell in a haevy duty garbage bag. Make sure you plug the vent and outlet real, real well. The bag prevents the leaking fuel from evaporating away with no trace.

Tape the garbage bag around the neck of the cell. Fill the cell completely but put a rag around the neck to keep any spills from running into the bag. Cap the cell off and let it sit for a couple of days.

When you take the bag off there should be staining in the talcum around the leaks.

Still no leak? Drain and replace gas with water doped with radiator dye, then look for the leaks with a UV light.

Still no leak? It probably came from a spill or a leak at the outlet fitting/hose interface and ran back down the fitting into the cell container.
    Keith Connolly<BR>K C Motorsport - UK

Hi Guys,

I'm a big believer in a new fuel cell in general. However, if you have to do a field repair, JB Weld on a clean and dry hole (extending well past the actual hole) works great. I never would have thought of this, but the recommendation came from a service guy at a MAJOR fuel cell manufacturer ( in fact, he was sure he'd have to cut the section out of the cell in order to get the JB off and put in a proper patch).

BTW, doesn't SCCA require a cell that is always &lt;5 yrs old?

cheers,
    Bill Tebbutt

Jerry Sloot

yo Chris...........buy a new one [it's called ra$ing not racing].....ever had your flesh burned??...EYE have, would not care to go there again, but it's your hide this time.....look i know this sounds curt but i believe in making an important point strongly, no hard feelings OK ?

True, I will probably get a new cell since this is the original from 1985.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

Chris, you might want to call the guys at ICP as they manufactured the Citantions in the first place and they can tell you which company made the original cell. They might even have one on the shelf.

i was just on the phne to Fuelsafe, asking some questions about my cell. It's a 1987, but has never had fuel in it (some restorations take longer than others, I guess). The word I got back is that up until about 1997 or so, their top of the line cells had a five year warranty, because the material could start to change after that. Now, they have improved the material and have a ten year warranty. Things to look for are crispy bits, cracks, and areas wher ethe material is softer, since that means that it's returning to it's natural, soft state. A 1985 cell that's been in a car and has seen use is well past it's sell-by date...

Brian

Chris
    If you do get a new fuel cell have them put an access port in the back of the cell for changing out the foam every so often. Not so easy getting it out the fill neck or putting it back in. It will cost a little more but will be worth it the first time you change the foam.

Just my thoughts, Pat

Thread Information